64 bit vs non 64 bit

guys planning on buying a dell precesion t7400 for use in maya, cad, 3d max along with vray also for video editing in premeire. why or why not should i go with a 64 bit windows xp operating system? will all my existing software install normally on a 64 bit system or does it require special software?

thanks

Depends how old your software is. I've got Adobe Production Premium CS3 running on XP64 and haven't had any problems. Actually, everything runs much smoother with the 8gigs of ram. Regular XP can't handle nearly that much ram and it really makes a huge difference. The main thing to look out for is Quicktime. XP64 and some common quicktime codecs don't play well together. Do a search on the two and you'll see what I mean. Other than that, flawless. No complaints.

I just bought a Dell XPS 720 Quad-Core Q6600, 4gb memory and 8800GT 512mb video. It came with vista but i just installed x64 XP on it and it is smoking fast.. Its like night and day difference between the 32bit vista and this 64bit XP. The only problem is the SATA drives you have to make a custom XP install disk or else the system will just bluescreen when you try to install from cd.. not hard to do at all only takes 10 mins to create the custom cd with your drivers. I am going to upgrade this to 8gb. I think that should be plenty for max. I can actually render my scenes now without crashing.

I just bought a Dell XPS 720 Quad-Core Q6600, 4gb memory and 8800GT 512mb video. It came with vista but i just installed x64 XP on it and it is smoking fast.. Its like night and day difference between the 32bit vista and this 64bit XP. The only problem is the SATA drives you have to make a custom XP install disk or else the system will just bluescreen when you try to install from cd.. not hard to do at all only takes 10 mins to create the custom cd with your drivers. I am going to upgrade this to 8gb. I think that should be plenty for max. I can actually render my scenes now without crashing.

I dont quite understand when you said

"The only problem is the SATA drives you have to make a custom XP install disk or else the system will just bluescreen when you try to install from cd"

I do have all the new 64 bit software for maya and max. Are you running dual quad cores?

I was looking to run the dual Xeon Quads on the T7400

i got a 64 bit os (xp64), 8 cores and 4 gigs of ram. Its awsome, except for the fact that my IT department cant figure out how to get it to work smooothly with our network, oh and that autocad 2007 doesn't support it. I've had a ton of issues with it, but access to all my ram has been really nice while rendering. after a year, i still don't no how i feel about it, i cant burn my itune music to a cd either, because they don't support winxp64.

i got a 64 bit os (xp64), 8 cores and 4 gigs of ram. Its awsome, except for the fact that my IT department cant figure out how to get it to work smooothly with our network, oh and that autocad 2007 doesn't support it. I've had a ton of issues with it, but access to all my ram has been really nice while rendering. after a year, i still don't no how i feel about it, i cant burn my itune music to a cd either, because they don't support winxp64.

Wait a sec.... Wont all regular 32 bit applications run on a 64 bit machine? I thought so. Whats the max Ram you can go with your setup ? about 16 gb right.