First ever 'nearly finished work'

Dave Buckley

Guys this is the first piece of work that i have posted that has ever been anywhere near completion.

Thanks to Jeff Patton for the building shell :)

Some models taken from Evermotion

Please comment and criticise this render as much as you can guys, i really want to improve.

And before you comment on the curtains :) i agree that they look wrong and horrible and i am currently trying to fix them as we speak

Other than that, please help me improve

Cheers guys

Edit: The render has been done in Mental Ray 3.6, with MRsun MRsky, MRphysicalsky, p/graphic exposure and FG. No post work has been done

The image is straight from Max but, not too sure why it looks kind of fuzzy, looks fine on my screen, think its the compression from the original render so that i could post it on here.

Hi,

I think you could raise your settings. There are those splotches on the curtains that indicate low settings. The Gi settings i mean. Plus of course the antialias settings also could be raised. That should churn out a really great pic.

All the best.

rnx.

Hi Dave,

The image is quiet ok as per me just a few things to add.

also use the photons for light along with FG i.e. use FG and GI can give it a try to see the difference.

the curtain and its material as u said.

if I would have been at ur place I would have opted for some reflective floor. (Truly personal) ;)

even ur edges are not coming out sharply (INCREASE AA 1 min :16 max as a minimum value in any case)

And I am not sure if thr is some glass in the openings in front if it is so it doesnt seems to be and if thr is NO glass then PERFECT. :D

Hope it works.

thanks for the comments guys

i'm currently rendering a 6000x6000 pixel render, i have included GI in the calculation

i have increased my sampling settings and the fg settings

GI is optimized for fg and i have altered the RGBA values for spatial contrast

i like the floor as it is :) its meant to be a really diffuse tile a bit like limestone would be

and at current there is no glass in the windows, it was having a major effect on the sky portals, but i also like the kind of 'open-air' look that having no glass gives off. suits the environement

will keep you guys posted, any other crits then let me know

I would definately work on the glass in the windows.

Enough has been said about the curtains, but the pole they are attached to I would also look at as it seems as though it has been stuck on.

Other than that and what has already been said the ingredients are there for a really nice rendering I think.