Computer harddrive and fan won't stop

• Administrators

A few weeks ago my workstation's fan start powering up to full speed as though it was rendering (which I don't do anymore). The problem is, the CPU is only at 4% only. The harddrive is also constantly seeking and I am not sure what app is doing this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on or how I might troubleshoot this?

Jeff

• Administrators
What happens when you set it to power down in the power options, does it continue or stop, does it start the behavior at bootup, or after you start using the computer or a certain program...

I rebooted and it seems to start up almost immediately. I check the task manager and it does not appear anything is running excesively. Power options have no effect, when I switch the HD to 3 min, although it's always being used, so it's not going to do anything anyway.

If its a case fan going nuts try using SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to diagnose which fan it is. It will also give you a nice set of temperatures and voltages, so you can see if anything is playing up, and can adjust the speed of the fans. If they all look normal it might be the power supply fan, which may well mean your PSU fan controller has died, though this wouldn't explain the constant HD seeking.

Speedfan usually rules out hardware malfunction for me, and its pretty good for controlling cooling.

• Administrators

OK, so I installed SpeedFan and This is what I got:

See attachment. I opened the case and immediatly the fans went down.

I have 1 fan on the case, 1 fan in the PS, 1 Fan cooling the HDs, 1 Fan and Heat sink cooling the CPUs and 1 on each video card (there are two). All Running.

Not sure how I can tell what's going on here as I don't knwo which fans relate to what. For sure the core 0 and Internal temp are showing red flames :) This make sense to you guys?

OK, so I installed SpeedFan and This is what I got:

See attachment. I opened the case and immediatly the fans went down.

I have 1 fan on the case, 1 fan in the PS, 1 Fan cooling the HDs, 1 Fan and Heat sink cooling the CPUs and 1 on each video card (there are two). All Running.

Not sure how I can tell what's going on here as I don't knwo which fans relate to what. For sure the core 0 and Internal temp are showing red flames :) This make sense to you guys?

yea, looks like its runnign quite hot. internal temp showing 115 is not good.

if you open the side of your case and control the 'speed 01' and 'speed 02' percentages in Speedfan, you can manually control the fan speeds, which should give you an idea of which fan is which.]

might be worth telling speed fan to automatically control fan speeds (checkbox in top right) and see if this cures your problem.

fans dont seem to be running particularly quick considering they are at 100% (only 2200rpm and 2500 rpm)..

is your hard drive still seeking constantly?

• Administrators

Most of the values in SpeedFan are wrong. I went into the BIOS and monitored everything there and they are all normal. The fan speeds are the same in speed fan, as are the Temp 1 and 2, but the rest is messed up and does not corelate to anything. HD is still seeking.