Imported model problem

pwharton

This rendering is of a car I downloaded and imported from sketchup and added the A&D car paint materials on it to play with. The model has it problems but the strange thing is when I render it from the front I get the black triangles around the door. Same model from the side view and they disappear. Does anybody know what that is about?

I tried erasing them and that just left holes, I then tried flipping the normals and it still renders strange. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Also what’s with the big gap at the front of the door? on the model it looks flush with the surrounding mesh.:confused:

This rendering is of a car I downloaded and imported from sketchup and added the A&D car paint materials on it to play with. The model has it problems but the strange thing is when I render it from the front I get the black triangles around the door. Same model from the side view and they disappear. Does anybody know what that is about?

IMHO, importing from sketchup into viz/max has always been a game of roulette......never comes in clean only by freak chance. the normals may need to be flipped and then smoothed. so play with your smoothing groups. also welding of verts. that black area may be multiple verts on top of each other that need to be welded then smoothed.

In the end I've always found it easier to build from scratch in viz because until I fix/correct all the problems from importing I could have just built it cleaner to begin with.

I tried erasing them and that just left holes, I then tried flipping the normals and it still renders strange. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Also what’s with the big gap at the front of the door? on the model it looks flush with the surrounding mesh.:confused:

At this point, you probably should just delete the offensive geometry and manually remodel that area...

• 2 weeks later...