large asphalt / concrete texture

kippu

any pointers for a large asphalt or concrete texture to put in a site parking area..... anything that i use gets tiling ...the camera is nearly perpendicular up ...so any help...tried blending 2 maps with noise and that doesnt help either ... thanks guys

any pointers for a large asphalt or concrete texture to put in a site parking area..... anything that i use gets tiling ...the camera is nearly perpendicular up ...so any help...tried blending 2 maps with noise and that doesnt help either ... thanks guys

You need to GO BIG man!

I face this problem alot. The civil engineers' favorite building material is concrete and those are the types of guys I work for.

Grab a digital camera and go find yourself a nice long concrete wall somewhere - retaining walls, industrial buildings, storm culverts, dam spillways...

Photograph the whole thing, bring it in to Photoshop and make yourself a monster "concrete mural." The one that I use regularly is 16,185 x 1200.

Word of warning: If it brings Max to it's knees, it's probably too big...:p

I like to model my concrete joints and just a few will do the trick. Then you just go with a UVW map modifer and play around with it till it looks legit.

Here is my "concrete mural" and a couple of projects where I put this into practice...

You need to GO BIG man!

I face this problem alot. The civil engineers' favorite building material is concrete and those are the types of guys I work for.

Grab a digital camera and go find yourself a nice long concrete wall somewhere - retaining walls, industrial buildings, storm culverts, dam spillways...

Photograph the whole thing, bring it in to Photoshop and make yourself a monster "concrete mural." The one that I use regularly is 16,185 x 1200.

Word of warning: If it brings Max to it's knees, it's probably too big...:p

I like to model my concrete joints and just a few will do the trick. Then you just go with a UVW map modifer and play around with it till it looks legit.

Here is my "concrete mural" and a couple of projects where I put this into practice...

Wow - that is big! hehe I was thinking of going on a rooftop and photographing the parking lot directly below. Didn't think to turn it 90-degrees and photograph a wall. Man, you ought to put that concrete monster online....

;)

I hope that everyone can get some use out of it...:)

The texture was created from a series of photographs I took in a storm culvert. I have access to alot of similiar types of concrete structures.

For producing my dam and wastewater images, I made duplicates of the texture and added even more variation (water level stains, dirt, abrasions, etc) very quickly just using simple Photoshop tools.

I also like to use this texture in one of the slots of a Blend Material and just a cleaner more uniform grey tone with some noise or speckle in it. Set the Mix amount to 50 and you get nice variation on a new concrete structure.

I used that approach on this pump station:

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...