New Computer?

I am an architect that mostly works for another architect, but moonlight on the side. My moonlight business needs a new computer for AutoCAD architecture and rendering. I currently use architectural desktop 2007, viz render (comes with 07) and Photoshop but will soon be making the switch to viz or max for mostly static renderings. Funds for a new computer are non-existent, so any advice on a system to meet my needs that will be useful for a few years would be appreciated. I will probably have to put it together myself.

Also, is it worth getting AutoDesk “certified” “fireGL” or “quadro” workstation graphics cards or will a cheaper gaming card do?

Thoughts on AMD v Intel, processors would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

An nVidia GeForce 8600 isn't a bad option. It's not as powerful as it's bigger 8800 brother, but it's very affordable and performs well enough (in my opinion).

Any computer you buy today will be 'behind the tech curve' next month. Pretty much a fact of life in PC Hardware. Having said that, you can get last month's "Champ" for less than it cost last month. Go further back in time until you find a match for your budget.

I can't afford a dual quad-core (8 core) $5000 machine, so I'm "settling" on a quad core (Intel Q6600) overclocked. Since I only have a Duo-Core (and a slow one at that), I'll be seeing a significant performance increase.

Thomas.

Q6600 quad for $199.99 from http://www.microcenter.com

eVGA 8800GTS512 gfx card for $230 at http://www.buy.com

ram is plentiful now...you can get quality 4 gigs for less then $100 anywhere

hdd--500gig sata 7200.10 at frys for $50-$100 depending on day of week.

mobo---quality boards can be had for $50-$200(really up to you)

sata dvddrives for $30-40 anywhere now.

PSU---don't skimp here. Corsair, PP&P, and countless others out there.

case---you can get a good case with ample cooling abilities for way less than $100 now as well.

Less then $1000 here and you can go down or up depending on what you want to do.

Take your time, do some research, and buy quality parts.

I suggest you get the Q6600 Intel Core2Quad and overclock it dont waste money on Q6700 or more. I had the same opinion and requirements as you do.

You will get enough good graphics card with 8800GT(512MB) with at least 2G of Ram.Asus motherboard will be good according to your budget and also dont compromise on power supply unit and cooling system.