Rendering for HD 1080

Arnold Grove

I have a logo Im rendering for TV....various resoluitons for output including 1920x1080. Well my logo looks great and Im getting great renders but even w/ medium I map setting and using Light Cache...I have extremely long render times. Even NTSC / PAL resolutions are long..over almost and hour per frame.

Using the video filter makes it too blury...I love the CatMull or VRay Lanc filters. I know having my relfectons turned on is increasing render times but one frame took 3 hours.

Is it true that even if I multi pass Ill still have the same long times? What can i do to get the render times down but control the noise and still get a nice render? Also...Im gettign flickering even on small a 320x240 render. BIG TIME flicker.

thanks very much

ag

Thank you John and AJ,

Settings as follows;

vray 1.5 no lights..using HDRI

Global Switches are defaults Refl/Refr is checked

Adaptive QMC

Mtchell-Netravelli

GI;

I map

Q-MC

I map;

high / least sq / Density based

Adaptive rQMC img samp;

1/4 Use QMC sample thres is checked

QMC GI;

subd 50 / 3 secondary

Environment;

GI Env checked on w/ lightmap mix in slot

same for Reflection

also have same map in enviroment /bg slot / use map checked

Color Map;

Linear Multip.

rQMC Sampler;

Standard camera- no caustics or Frame buffer (still learing how to use FB)

mats are mix of standard and vray. Several vray mats from 20 to 50 subdiv for gold and chrome reflections...some at 5

what resolution is your HDRI? I dont use it much, but I had faster ersults when using a small blurred version of the HDRI for lighting and a higher res one just for reflections.

Oh, could you let us know what your machine is and maybe post a render?

hey Arnold - Having a quick look over those settings I see a number of things I think you might want to look at to improve render times and quality. Also do you have a still frame you can post, its hard to gauge without seeing anything? Is the scene heavily animated with objects or lights? Motion blur?

1. Lose the standard materials alltogether, they cause problems like slow rendering to overbright errors and coloured blotches. Is there anythign specific you need from a standard you cant do with vray?

2. I would use a softening filter for AA, sharpening filters are not great for any animation stuff Iv found. (try area or video as aforementioned) 3 hours per frame is way to long imo. When its in motion you wont notice the blurring effect.

3. I might be wrong here but I would try using a HDRI in a vray dome light as you have better control over sampling and better quality lighting from it. I have had very good results with it.

4. I think your AA might be too low, generally Id use 2/5 or (1/16 'Universal settings' when using QMC - if using this MB and DOF will calculate relatively quickly as you will allready have the samples needed)

Hmm really need a sample!