VISTA X64 vs XP x64 which one to choose

SO far for the most part i really like the XP 64bit but am having alot of issues with max crashing. Nothing happened the first week and then all of a sudden crash after crash if i start adding onyx trees to a scene or grass it just closes out the program. Kind of annoying more then anything else. I am just working on projects for myself not a job so its not a big deal to lose work but i don't feel after spending 1700.00 on a XPS 720 i should have that many crashes. I am also using Max 9 if that makes any difference.

The only plugins i have are

ONYX trees

VRAY 1.5 64bit

Archvision materials vol 1 and 2 (2 does not support 64 bit and one wont install)

should i just bite the bullet and upgrade to Vista 64bit. I cannot even run a program as simple as Itunes on xp 64 or at least apple isnt making it easy to find the download for it after weeks of searching. ok thanks I just needed to vent to someone or a few thousand someones..

I'll be upgrading very soon and will definitely be going for a 64bit OS, I have been doing a looot of reading on other forums too, not just this 1. And from what I can tell if you want a windows based 64bit OS, vista is the 1 to go for. Likewise if you want a 32bit OS, XP pro SP2 is the 1.

I am looking at it from a music production point of view as well as a 3d design aspect, alot of the drivers for the hardware I have just arent available on xp64, yet are for vista64. As I understand it max 2008 (not sure about 9) works like a charm on vista64 with 4gigs + of RAM and a quad under the hood. Infact about the only problems you will have with vista64 is related to drivers for older graphics cards, again this is only from what I've read, hope this helps.. probably not though lol

Mark