beginner tip from a new onyx user for low poly

SgWRX

(using the tree storm plugin for max)

to get a low poly tree used for medium-far distance

1. create a tree in the scene

2. click adjust

3. besides un-checking some components and switching them to low poly representations, click on sub-objects for the leaves. then set 1 or 2 sub-objects, click on use-plates then set the resolution to 0.

to give a good color to the leaves, and this is the tricky part i couldn't figure out...

1. pick an empty material slot

2. click on the get material from object eye-dropper

3. hit the H key to bring up select by name

4. look for the tree and pick the child-object DummyLeaf01 or 02 etc..

5. remove the vertex color map altogether and set a color in the diffuse slot of green or brownish green.

* so far i've noticed that it doesn't matter if you DO NOT select the UV option for the leaves.

* the tricky part for me was, i couldn't see the DummyLeaf obect in my viewport because i was using the preview mode to display the tree in the viewport. whenever i did a get material eye-dropper and clicked on the tree, i never got the leaf material.

the trees in

the trees in this test: foreground right 8k poly, foreground right 14k poly, background are both 11k poly. the difference is due to setting 2 sub-objects for the foreground tree and also selecting different options in the adjustments for poly count (no stems, low poly b2 etc.)

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot - it seems that you cannot instance copy a DummyLeaf object.