complex building facade material

Crazy Homeless Guy

anyone want to help break down the process used for this texture... i think it would be beneficial for us all. it is a Vray material, but the process of creating it is entirely 3dsmax (i think,) so regardless of what engine you use, it might be useful.

to put it simple. the material screen capture attached is seems to contain no actual texture maps.

http://www.vray-materials.de/all_materials.php?mat=1141

Have you seen the map browser for that material? Its huge!

Seems to be a gradient with vray comp/gradient maps used for masking the lines with the comp mat set to multiply. At each one of these level there is 1 line that is "drawn" with a gradient ramp and masked off with a vray comp that then includes another vray comp that has a gradient ramp/vray comp. And you could go on for ever.

Not sure I am going to work this way, just trying to find a quick way to represent a few building facades that have not been designed without the need to spend a lot of time thinking about them, or modeling them.

Basically, they can be somewhat generic. I don't like the design of the map provided, but I think I might be able to develop a couple of generic solutions to keep on hand for this project, and future projects.

This is the alternate solution for now...

http://www.pixelab.be/blog/2008/03/09/tutorialmaking-of-vincent-van-duysen-tower-in-beirut/

Regardless of which way I go, I wouldn't mind mastering both techniques. I doubt I ever nest 54 maps, but I might nest a handful to produce an elevation.

why am i not just making the tilable map in photoshop? ...i am an idiot. i just saw this, aw, that will be handy to have. at least i realized it before spending more than an hour on it.

It's a process sometimes, huh ;). I thought maybe I was missing something...using a map was too obvious, it's gotta be more involved for some reason. :p

That pixelab tut was cool...the materialbyelement modifier is slick. I read about it before...maybe it will stick now that I've read about it twice.