When to use MAX over Sketchup?

Hey guys,

I'm just starting to pick up Sketchup after being in MAX forever. I've seen some very quality, detailed models made from it. However, just from first impressions, it feels like it's main thrust is for a simpler, NPR model/rendering.

Do you find it easier to use MAX after a certain 'detail threshold'?...I'm just talking architectural here...not organics. I know a lot of us use both software packages.

Aaron

Hmm... Im not sure why to use sketchup over max? Only one reason comes to my mind - and thats software price.

I work in max, always have. I played around in sketchup free a bit, some time ago. Although max has never been the most stable program around Ive got used to it I think. Sketchup just isnt my cup'a tea I guess.

As the NPR goes - well sketchup has some good filters but not that great IMO.

Im curious why are you converting to SU?

Sketchup is a very good and quick way of making your background models for Max.

So if making a city make the background building in Sketchup and import make the detailed buildings etc in Max.

That is how I use both products the both have a role to play in my scenes

I tend to use SketchUp for almost everything, except for high-poly trees and other organics (still use it a lot for terrains though). It probably increases my working speed 10x, and I very rarely find it limiting in any way.

It would be very interesting too hear what kind of details you guys won't/cannot do in SU, and what kinds of architectural work you don't find it useful for?

I do all my modeling in SU -- It's just a ton faster than modeling in MAX, and you can get as detailed as you want to, spare high-poly trees by the 1000's. I then do 80% of my rendering in MAX, and haven't had any problem going between the two, as long as i'm diligent about layering and grouping in SU.

r

I second Ron's comments - other than organics I feel it is capable of most any level of detail you want, and is a much more intuitive modeler. The biggest drawback is the limitation when you get to really large file sizes.

Bytor

It helps a lot using lots of Layers and groups, and hide those that you're not working on at the moment. Or to "Reload" big components with lowres versions while working. Or to make big scenes in separate chunks/components.

But there is still a limit there that prevents you from filling up your scene with Onyx trees or very high-poly faucets, curtains and furniture in every room of your apartment building.