Mental Ray Proxies.

Crazy Homeless Guy

Did you click and drag a proxie primitive first? Once the proxie bounding box is created and selected ,then you will be able to select the object to convert into a proxie.

Remeamber to create a material for the proxie in the material editor before creating the it, as the materials are dropped and have to be reassigned.

Multiple objects will need to be attached and a multi-sub materail created for more complex objects ,eg trees.

Noce thing with me proxies is you can assign different materials to instance copies, which helps with variation. Just keep the multi-sub stucture the same.

jhv

thanks, that worked. i was trying to create the proxies while still in the create tab, rather than placing the primitive, and then going to the modify tab. at firt glance, it looks like there is a slight bit more control with MR proxies than with Vray proxies. ...and they already have their animated proxy version out. Vray's animated proxies is not going to be implemented until next release.

I don't have time to check how the materials work, but with Vray proxies don't retain the materials either. They did keep the materials once the were creatred in a scene. I typically kept a master file of proxied trees, that had the materials applied to them. Then when I needed a tree, I simply merged the proxy in from that file, rather than reinsert a proxy, then find the matching material.

huy!

i have successfully created mr proxies, and they render well too...only problem is that my scene keeps crashing, i dont know if its MR proxy or what...

i have the OBJECT Color mode on at all times, sand the file size is 55 MB.

all textures are on the local machine...

mostly when a proxy i selected and i roate/pan the viewport it crashes (atleast this is what i have noted).

any clues?

huy heres the scene info, all trees and foliage is mr proxy. This whole scene was working well with 2008(including the trees mesh_ but was too slow to handle, so shifted to 2009 now.

i have also noticed if i do no instances the error doesn't come...

I really needed this two nights ago, spent ages converting more cars to proxies, Thanks very much I give it a go

I have a question regarding scale of proxies, When I was converting the cars some were modeled at a different working unit and as such larger. I scaled them down and collapsed them. But when I made the Proxie they point cloud was the size of the original car. I problably should have added a Xform before scaling.

Question is, How can I set a scale of the proxie so that it always comes in at that scale?

jhv

Final geather solution is ok on my mac pro,win 64 ,ati radeon 2600,with 6 gbof rams ,i have alot of mr proxies in the scene,but once the FG solution is finished and during sampling the mental ray gives an error but the application doesn't crash even it could save the file but rendering stops,so is it maximum no of proxies related or displaying card if it is about the card can nvidia 8800 gt solve it or not ,thanks

note when i reduce the no of the proxies or it is far from the camera it solves the proplem,and thank you master ZAP i've tried your mental ray proxy script it is realy great