Mocap question

RyanSpaulding

hey guys,

I've been trying to get a bunch of our axyz people to animate correctly using mocap files. My question is...if you're supposed to resize the biped to fit the mesh we're using (which I did and in non-mocap mode it works/moves fine)...when I load up my mocap file, it resizes my biped and takes the positioning from t-pose to the 1st frame in the mocap.

This makes it impossible to match the mesh to the 1st pose, and since it resizes the biped, it no longer fits the mesh right and is all sorts of messed up. How do I fix this? Can I even use the mocap data? Or will I have to rig it differently than max's biped method?

Im not sure what system you are using or what the Mocap data file format your using is.. but for what its worth...

Our Gypsy 5 mocap suit creates a .bvh file and what we do is create a blank file, create a biped (it doesnt matter what size at this point), and import the .bvh file to the biped. Yes the biped will resize your biped but it doesnt matter right now since its not attached to a mesh or anything...

Then using this biped we will do any necessary cleaning up of the animation to correct things like foot sliding or irregular twisting of joints or whatever. After cleaning up the mocap data you can save the biped animation as a .bip file (which is native biped file type i believe).

Then we open up the file where our character is, with its correctly sized and attached biped already in place. You can select the biped by the parent node (usually Bip01 or whatever) and load the cleaned up mocap data using the .bip file you saved earlier.... which should only apply the animation to the existing biped and not change the proportions of it....

its been a while since i had to do this as the class was last semester, so its possible that there is a setting somewhere in either the export or import window where you can choose to restructure the biped or not... i think..

hopefully this helps,

Shane G.