Mental ray Vray Radiosity materials

aleks84

Hi guys,

ive been doing rendering with radiosity, and know im starting to learn MR and Vray. I have a lot of pains adjusting the materials. The question is, do all materials work nicely with all rendering engines MR, Vray and Radiosity?

I have an impression thats not correct.

So, is it very important to know before you start working which engine your going to use, and is it easy to transfer from MR to Vray later?

And if you have some nice tutorials of making materials for ext/int. arch. scenes i would love to check them.

thanks

They can both use standard materials...however to make the most out of each render engine, each one has its own special materials which will work much better since they are designed to do so...they also have their own lights and cameras for the same reason...

mr is happiest by far when you use Arch&Design (not to be confused with Architectural) materials. Vray wants VrayMaterials.

I'd recommend choosing mr or Vray - it hardly even matters which - and learning it well before thinking about the other.

As i understood there's no big difference between Mr and Vray?

Im surprised bcaz when i saw all those butons for seting up the vray :) it looked more powerfull than MR.

However im haveing trouble with MR, im having constantly a line in the horizon thats like small gradient, and second i cant add fog ...

How you do it? :)

thank you guys

As i understood there's no big difference between Mr and Vray?

Im surprised bcaz when i saw all those butons for seting up the vray :) it looked more powerfull than MR.

However im haveing trouble with MR, im having constantly a line in the horizon thats like small gradient, and second i cant add fog ...

How you do it? :)

thank you guys

The "line at the horizon" sounds like you are seeing the "Aerial Perspective" of the skylight system. This is a built-in fog feature. Go to your "mr Sky" and change the "10% distance" for more/less fog, or turn it off.

If you want to use the oldschool max Fog, be aware that many max effects are low dynamic range, and gets confused by the high dynamic range of the sun&sky rendering. You can solve this by altering the physical scale to something very high, so that even sunlight fits into the oldschool "0 to 1" trange. Set physical scale to about 80,000 should do it.

See my blog for more details on physical scale stuff.

/Z