Problem in transfering DWG file exporting from MAX

amlan70

Hi all,

I am a new member here. I am working on a freelancer project where I am given to work on a autocad DWG file which i import work on and again export to dwg for the client. Now they view the dwg in a viewer software named eDrawings viewer.

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/programs/eDrawings/e2_downloadcheck.html

Now problem is he has given me a dwg file ...... now when that is imported in the eDrawings viewer it looks like PIC 1. I imported the file in max to work and after import it looks like PIC 2. BUt after work when i export it in DWG and the same is opened in eDrawings viewer it looks like pic 3. Where am i wrong ?? can anyone suggest ?? I am attaching all 3 pics and also the dwg files in a zip.

Original file from my friend is named as Sample part.dwg

File after i exported from max is named as For Test DWG.dwg

All helps are appreciated.

Thanks

there are a few unknowns about this problem, but i did give your files a look.

1.) the autocad file that you began with looks okay (except it is all faces - no solids)...no problem there.

2.) i imported the file into MAX and it looked fine - i then exported as a .dwg again and it looks similar to the test you made, although mine has more faces.

the unknowns are what other editing did you do in MAX ? it doesn't look like you modified the geometry in any way, so i assume MAX is just for rendering ? if so, the problem is not there either.

the other unknown (and possibly the source of the problem), is this Edrawing viewer. i don't know anything about it, but it might be that it doesn't handle exported DWG files very well.

the only other suggestion i have is to export as a DXF instead ? or maybe a 3DS if it can handle it ?

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply.

1) Thst the autocad file i was provided with.

2)Ya thats just a test i didnt do anything here....just wanted to see how that e reader handles my exported DWG.

3) As i said i didnt do any editing in max ......just trying to find out .....if that Ereader reads the original file great ................ why doesnt it read my 3d max exported DWG as the way it did with the original file.

4) no it doesnt read 3ds files.............. it does read dxf but dxf is giving me the same result as the exported dwg.

Any ideas ????

why do you need To re-export back To dwg file format?

why bother

The client can use The original autocad file and continue To make changes

unless They are supplying only 2d and are expecting you To re-export in 3d

They or you could make The changes in autocad in 3d and Then import into max

FLM File Link Manager works well (well, occassionally)

is it actually necessary? To re-export?

if not = no problem, if yes = is a problem

depends upon what The definition of 'is' is