displacement and low proc activity

sudark

its pretty irritating.

i tried rendering a picture at 1300x900 with some grass with displacement on it. and when it calculates the light cache, the unloading geometry and presampling thing does happen.

but when i check my task manager, the performance is so low, its down to 8-16% processor activity.

i rendered a smaller image at 700x500 and it worked fine.

the weird thing is that at this level, the proc activity is 100%.

my computer specs are really old:

P4 2.8GHz Ht

512 ram

i also increased the dynamic memory limit from 600 to 2000, but there was little benefit..

so my problem is, why does calculating the displacement maps not make use of the full potential of my CPU? is this a glitch with Vray?

i would try making a completely new scene, with one one object in it and no lights. add the displacement and see if it works. if not post your settings.

then add one light and see if it works.

then turn on your indirect illumination, ect. until you find at where the problem is.

it might be something in your scene unrelated to the lighting settings

i also increased the dynamic memory limit from 600 to 2000, but there was little benefit..

what happens is to be expected, and upping the limit won't help a bit, since you only have 500 mb of available memory (putting there 1000, 2000 or 5000 won't make any difference). 500 mb is definitely not enough for displacing, say, wide surfaces of grass even at small resolution.

what you can do is get yourself more memory, or upgrade your hardware altogether.

i have the same problem with 3Go of ram, looks like 3d mapping type is not suitable for large area of grass so i have to use 2d mapping type and maybe 3d mapping for the near forground.