distributed rendering setup with vray 1.5

d7man2000

I am having a lot of problems with setting up a distributed rendering with vray 1.5. at work we have 4 computers(servers) for renderings. One of these computers has this Dongle key for licensing. I am confused with this. I remember in the previous version I just had to start vrlserver.exe on server computers. Now in the new version of vray I don't see "vrlserver.exe", there are "setvrlservice", "startvrlservice" and "vrlservice". I don't know what to do.

When I start a job, error shows up that "target machine" couldn't be found even that I added server computers to distributed renderings and when I click on "resolve ip" I can see the ip addresses of servers but when I render I get an error that target machines were not found.

any help how to setup DR with new vray would be appreciated. thanks, Kris.

vrlserver.exe only appears in your processes after you launched the floating license.

1. if you have a work machine, what you can try to do is to have your dongle on your local machine and have the four nodes ping to your workstation.

2. on the other hand, if you have a server holding the license, you need to make sure to have vrlserver.exe activated when windows boot up so the other comps can ping to it. you can do that by setting the vrlserver.exe as a service (...\Programs\Chaos Group\V-Ray\Licensing\Administration\Register License Server)

3. on render nodes, go to the above directory and select 'Change V-Ray client license settings' in this field, add in the IP address of the one computer withholding the dongle. (start > run > type in 'cmd' > then 'ipconfig' to figure out the ip address)

4. once you have done that, make sure the one holding the dongle/floating license have firewall turned off for vrlserver.exe to allow render nodes have direct access to the dongle file.

5. in any case, make sure you have spawners open (can also register as a service) so you can use DR

Edited by simplychen