Server Ram Vs Desktop Ram

GUYS I RECENTLY GOT A KILLER DEAL ON A PRECEISION DELL T5400 BUT IT ONLY CAME WITH 2GB OF RAM. I WENT AHEAD AND BOUGHT SOME EXTRA RAM BUT IT ENDS UP I GOT SERVER RAM, BY THE WAY IT MEETS ALL THE SPECS AS FAR AS DDR2 PC2 5300 ECC. I DID NOTICE WHEN I WAS TOO LATE THAT ITS THE SAME SPECS EXCEPT ONE IS DESCRIBED AS SERVER RAM AND ANOTHER WHICH IS HALF THE PRICE IS DESKTOP RAM. WHAT SHOULD I DO …EXCUSE THE CAPS I WAS WORKING IN CAD WHEN I TYPED THIS.

ALSO HOW IMPORTANT ARE HEAT SINKS ON RAM?

Failing that, use a reputable company that lets you choose by your PC model. I've never gone wrong with crucial.com. This is because there are a lot of variables when choosing the stuff and it's pretty easy to get the wrong thing.

As for "server ram"... there are a lot of things this could mean. It might be that your PC actually requires "server" ram in that it uses FBDIMMs if it's a Xeon system.

Dude, you've got some caps issues. Try this:

-Use the shift key, not caps lock.

-Use a capital letter to start the first word of a sentence and any proper nouns.

-All caps is okay for acronyms, but not necessary for acronyms that have become words.

So in you sentence, capitalize "It's", "Kingston" and "Samsung", and you can choose "RAM" or "ram".

But to address the real point, you would need o be more specific about what is meant by server ram.

You are pretty clever my friend with those caps jokes:D

Well I am trying to figure it out honestly the only difference is the price and the fact that on the description it says "Server ram" vs "Desktop Ram". I did a couple searches and some people claim its "better ram" I guess its more stable or better quality since it needs to run an entire server. The pins are all the same they are 240pin. Others like the guys at Tiger Direct say that differenciation does not exist. But i know it does because on newegg they are stating the diffence in the title as as far as the specs go they are unaffected except for the fact the same amount of ram will cost you twice as much if it says server ram. Visually all the server Ram appear to have heat sinks, where the regular desktop ram doesn't necessarily have heatsinks.

MY BAD ABOUT THE CAPS GUYS!

Dude, you've got some caps issues. Try this:

-Use the shift key, not caps lock.

-Use a capital letter to start the first word of a sentence and any proper nouns.

-All caps is okay for acronyms, but not necessary for acronyms that have become words.

So in you sentence, capitalize "It's", "Kingston" and "Samsung", and you can choose "RAM" or "ram".

But to address the real point, you would need o be more specific about what is meant by server ram.

Why not post the make and model number of the two types of RAM you bought, stating which is the original. We may be able to help you then ;)

Ok this is what i bought for $180 (SERVER RAM)

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC Fully Buffered Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model KVR667D2D4F5K2/4G - Retail Item #: N82E16820134327 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134327&Tpk=N82E16820134327

This is the same Ram except it is (DESKTOP RAM) and half the price

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/4G - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134193

Now the original Ram is what dell put in there

Samsung 2GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 667MHz

So far this is what i can conclude the original one appears to be fully buffered hence the description "FBD memory" the fist server type memory is also fully buffered but the one right after "the cheaper one appears to not be fully buffered."

Edited by Rconce01

Ok this is what i bought for $180 (SERVER RAM)

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) ECC Fully Buffered Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model KVR667D2D4F5K2/4G - Retail Item #: N82E16820134327 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134327&Tpk=N82E16820134327

This is the same Ram except it is (DESKTOP RAM) and half the price

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/4G - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134193

Now the original Ram is what dell put in there

Samsung 2GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 667MHz

So far this is what i can conclude the original one appears to be fully buffered hence the description "FBD memory" the fist server type memory is also fully buffered but the one right after "the cheaper one appears to not be fully buffered."

Thanks for that, if you want to match your RAM as closely as possible, you will need to use the more expensive option. Main difference being the ECC - Error Correction Code. As ECC RAM stores/checks/passes data it is a wee bit slower, but error free. Here's a link that will list Kingston RAM modules that are 100% guaranteed compatibility with your T5400. http://www.ramcity.com.au/system/42378.htm When replacing the modules, you'll see four "slots" to place the RAM, hopefully they're colour-coded for you. If so, place the Samsung RAM in the first colour, and the new RAM in the second colour. If they aren't coloured, imagine they are numbered left to right...1/2/3/4. Insert the RAM like this, Samsung modules in 1/3, new modules in 2/4. G'luck, S.

Those are in fact two different types of RAM. The desktop RAM is regular DIMMs and the server RAM is FBDIMMs. FBDIMMs are more expensive and are required for Xeons (except the silly Xeons that go on Core2 motherboards). According to crucial.com a T5400 uses FBDIMMs and their price for 2x2GB is $247.99.

Thanks for that, if you want to match your RAM as closely as possible, you will need to use the more expensive option. Main difference being the ECC - Error Correction Code. As ECC RAM stores/checks/passes data it is a wee bit slower, but error free. Here's a link that will list Kingston RAM modules that are 100% guaranteed compatibility with your T5400. http://www.ramcity.com.au/system/42378.htm When replacing the modules, you'll see four "slots" to place the RAM, hopefully they're colour-coded for you. If so, place the Samsung RAM in the first colour, and the new RAM in the second colour. If they aren't coloured, imagine they are numbered left to right...1/2/3/4. Insert the RAM like this, Samsung modules in 1/3, new modules in 2/4. G'luck, S.

Ok good then i will keep the expensive ones which are on their way to me. I saw the color coding odd numbers have white tabs and even numbers have black tabs, that must be due to the dual channel memory. Like you said the samsungs are in the 1 and 3 tab and the new 2gb kingstons will go into the 2 and 4 slots. By the way the seller replied confirming that in fact i do need fully buffered dimm ecc server ram even though its a desktop.

You know whats cool this thing has like 10 ram slots