how is a quadro fx5600 for gaming

hello, i´m considering to upgrade my actual video card (quadro fx1700) for a highend option (fx5600) because i`m working with very complex, heavy models. i had no doubt that the fx5600 is one of the best choice for that.

My question is, i love to play video games also, and i want to know how the fx5600 could handle this topic. i know the specific markets of each of the nvidia families (quadro for profesional aplications, and geforce for home aplications and gaming) , maybe the main purpose of my new card would be profesional aplications, but still, i would like a card with a decent performance in gaming. My actual quadro fx1700, has a very decent performance in 3d aplications, but for gaming is not the best.

I knew that the performance for gaming of the quadro family is a little poor, but now i´m talking about the top quadro card (excluding the new 4700 x2), so im curious about the performance.

my original idea of upgrading the videocard, was to create an SLI system with two geforce 9800 gx2, but unfortunately in my dell T7400, and SLI system can be configure only by factory at the moment of the adquisition, so this option is imposible. So i only able to install one card (or two independent, but i only need two monitors).

at the begining my option was a geforce series card, because i still a little esceptical about if the aditional performance in 3d aplications of the quadro family, justify prices 3 times higher, also , like i said at the beginnig, i love to play games, and a geforce card fits great for that, so i was thinking in the original Geforce 9800 gx2, but just one, not SLI system. But know my dealer gave a very nice price for a quadro fx5600, so i`m consider it.

hello, i´m considering to upgrade my actual video card (quadro fx1700) for a highend option (fx5600) because i`m working with very complex, heavy models. i had no doubt that the fx5600 is one of the best choice for that.

My question is, i love to play video games also, and i want to know how the fx5600 could handle this topic. i know the specific markets of each of the nvidia families (quadro for profesional aplications, and geforce for home aplications and gaming) , maybe the main purpose of my new card would be profesional aplications, but still, i would like a card with a decent performance in gaming. My actual quadro fx1700, has a very decent performance in 3d aplications, but for gaming is not the best.

I knew that the performance for gaming of the quadro family is a little poor, but now i´m talking about the top quadro card (excluding the new 4700 x2), so im curious about the performance.

my original idea of upgrading the videocard, was to create an SLI system with two geforce 9800 gx2, but unfortunately in my dell T7400, and SLI system can be configure only by factory at the moment of the adquisition, so this option is imposible. So i only able to install one card (or two independent, but i only need two monitors).

at the begining my option was a geforce series card, because i still a little esceptical about if the aditional performance in 3d aplications of the quadro family, justify prices 3 times higher, also , like i said at the beginnig, i love to play games, and a geforce card fits great for that, so i was thinking in the original Geforce 9800 gx2, but just one, not SLI system. But know my dealer gave a very nice price for a quadro fx5600, so i`m consider it.

The Quadro FX5600 is based on the same core of the Geforce 8800GTX, but with double the amount of memory.. You'll have no problems playing just about any game on the market with that card (Crysis being the exception, due to the fact that just about every video card has problems playing it with everything on, even in SLI)

The drivers will focus more pointing to Workstation Graphics, but you'll have no problem at all substituting the high-end Quadro instead of Geforce..

If you can wait a bit, the new nVidia cards should be out soon. The FX3700 came out ~ 2 months ago, and the 4700 and 5700 should follow (although there's been no announcement -just a guess). Who knows, maybe the 4700 will be faster than the 5600, have as much memory, be DX10, and be cheaper!

Thanks for your replies

I wiil search some benchamarks for this card, but i suposed is lower than a Geforce 9800 gx2, my original option.

About the new highend cards, maybe i should take the advice, the fx5600 has some time in the market, and for that big investment, i should wait for a new generation, my only concern is, nvidia doesn´t gave any notice about that, and i need a new option for my day to day work.

If you look at benchmarks, the FX4600 is slightly faster than the FX5600. You say you're working with big scenes, so maybe the amount of memory is a primary concern, but if not, the 4600 is ~$1000 less than the 5600.

If you look at benchmarks, the FX4600 is slightly faster than the FX5600. You say you're working with big scenes, so maybe the amount of memory is a primary concern, but if not, the 4600 is ~$1000 less than the 5600.

The FX5600 is designed for "EXTREME" poly scenes that want to be shown with extreme high-res textures.. in those tests, the FX5600 definitly comes out on top.. but unless you're ILM or Pixar, you won't see the advantage of the FX5600.. For that matter, the FX3700 is more than enough power in almost every situation and a pair of FX3700's in SLI will not only run faster than the FX4600, it'll cost you less $$$ or pretty close to the same ..

The FX5600 is designed for "EXTREME" poly scenes that want to be shown with extreme high-res textures.. in those tests, the FX5600 definitly comes out on top.. but unless you're ILM or Pixar, you won't see the advantage of the FX5600.. For that matter, the FX3700 is more than enough power in almost every situation and a pair of FX3700's in SLI will not only run faster than the FX4600, it'll cost you less $$$ or pretty close to the same ..

I haven't seen benchmarks using huge scenes, but that's because I didn't look very hard. As far as SLI, I wish it worked better wiwth Max, then maybe we'd have specced dual 3700s, but we just got our Dells with 4600 today, but I can't try it yet because I can't log in -talk about frustrating!

• 1 month later...

I'm more interested in knowing if you got a 9800 GX2 working with your Dell T7400. I just purchased 6 of them with 5 x 9800 GX2s and a Quadro FX 5600 for the sixth machine. The 5600 requiring 2 x 6pin power supplements powers up just fine, but the 5 machines using 9800 GX2s requiring 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8pin don't power up at all. I'm getting a PSU error whenever the 8pin from the PSU is plugged in. Did you ever get a GX2 and get this working? Thanks in advance.

Maybe your power supply can't supply the current. Keep in mind that the GX2 is a dual GPU board - I've read that it can go over 300 watts, it can double the power requirements of a Quadro 5600. This is because it's a ridiculous video card designed for the sort of people who also put neon lighting in their computer for when they take it with them to parties. They sell power supplies for people who use these cards, that have things like heat pipe cooling. In the power supply.

Don't these things cost over $500? Can you return them and get some under-$200 video cards instead? An 8800GT is very popular these days. I've got an 8800GTS (the older version, not the 512MB) that softmods to Quadro 4600 and kicks ass despite working with my power supply.

Well - I have 1000 Watt power supplies in my T7400s - should be plenty especially considering there is only 1 HD and 1 optical drive in the machine. Yes - the cards were about $550 each but that's far less than the $2800 I spent on the Quadro. Returning them is not really an option anymore as I've had them in my possession for too long - I had to wait for my Dell machines to arrive which took a bit longer than I thought it would.

If you look here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2_pwr_supply.html there are actually 1000W PSUs not approved for the GX2. I think you need to do research on the specific PSU in your Dell with the GX2, maybe call Dell and ask about it, try the support and forums of your video card vendor and nVidia. This is your karmic retribution for spending too much on your computers - what the heck are you doing with this stuff anyway? Why does one guy need a Quadro when the rest don't?

This is a high end visualization work lab that I'm deploying. All of this is work related - not personal. One requires a Quadro because they need a stereo 3d connection.

Edited by LNCpapa

Yeah - I've been talking with them all day and they're still researching. I'm just sitting here waiting for them to get back to me so I decided to use a little more of my google-fu. I was hoping that Cesar guy would be looking and post back if he got a GX2 working on his T7400.