Default V-Ray Materials in Material Editors?

iaga

I was wondering if there was a way in Viz/ Max to load the V-Ray materials as standard in all the 'Material Editor' slots as opposed to 'Standard'/ 'Architectural'.

The reason being I keep having to change 'Standard'(in Max)/ 'Achitectural'(in VIZ) to V-Ray materials everytime I want to use V-Ray materials, which is 100% of the time.

All help appreciated, Thanks.

You load up your material editor with whatever materials you like (I have mine set up with grass, concrete, asphalt, windows, etc that I use all the time). Then go to the "get material" window, click on "from editor", and then choose the "Save as" button. Browse to the "defaults" then "Max" directory wherever Max is installed, and save the library as Medit.mat. This should load up as the default from there on out.

First replace all the materials in your material editor with vray materials. Then save the materials in the editor to a material library. Save it as Medit.mat under (max_root)\Defauts\MAX

OR

As of V-Ray 1.5 SP2, there is a MAX.Vray default setting which you can use by selecting it under the UI Switcher, although these materials are different colors not all gray. For that, use the above method.