help with boolean operation

arturito

:(:( hi I am trying to make some holes in a modeled volumen (glass cealing), with boolean operations, I am using a cilinder as substracting object, but the result is like throwing a stone to the glass...

see atachments please

as you can see, I must make a lot of holes, so modeling again could take hours....

geometries are editable meshes imported from autocad. cilinders were done in max.......... any help?? :confused:

Try seperating each long segment that will be included - cut in - and complete the subtraction each time for that segment. Dont use boolean on the segments that are not going to be affected.

Also it is best to use boolean on one sided geometry.

If the first step fails I would suggest cutting in a one sided segment and then add thickness etc.

Edited by Horhe

You need more segments to get that to be a smooth boolean.

Think of the number of segments like the resolution of a monitor.

If a monitor has to display a circle and it only has 8 pixels in each direction to work with, it'll look like a box or something strange.

You need resolution. You need more segments.

Just select the edges of the area that will completely enclose the cylinder, connect edges, and give it about 20 or 30 or 40. (in my opinion) the more the better. More resolution equals a smoother boolean.

NOTE: having just typed all that, I made a plane, 4 segments, made a cylinder, and it booleaned perfectly