Help Max File Wont Open (FILE OPEN FAILED)

craigball

Hi

Can any one help me a have been working on my room model and when I came to work on the model today I got (FILE OPEN FAILED) and now the file wont open? Also I don’t have any auto back up files saved. Can any one help I can email the file out if needs be,

I have also tried to merge the file it to a new one and that didn’t work.

Please tell me I haven’t lost that for good.

Cheers

Edited by craigball

yes, that's the same thing.

Do you have more than one version of Max? We run 9 and 2008 here and sometimes I try to open a 2008 file in 9 and get the error. So if it was edited in a newer version of Max and you try to open in an older version, you'll get that.

Aside from that, Max files can get corrupt...which is what makes the autoback feature so valuable. Look for your latest backup file and see if that opens.

merge the objects one by one (so to speak) untill you find the corrupt element. usually it's a plugin issue. Start with your basic elements, then groups, then library objects (you know, stuff you havent modelled yourself...) up until you get to lights and cameras.

And make sure you save, close and try to open along the way. Helps if you save in different file names (increments help, like max-recover01.max, max-recover02.max, etc..)

I face tens of large file crashes every month..some would even render on the workstation, but not network render! solved many problematic files this way.

hope this helps.