Weird/Dirty Render

mmulv2

I rendered this scene in max 9 with vray and the render is really dirty. The grey circles show where the dirt is apparent but the cog is also quite dirty as it should b a cleaner white. I rendered these objects separately with same render settings and they come out fine. The render is shown below with the render settings. What is the problem? (Image quality bad as jpg) Also once this problem is sorted, how can i alter it so that the reflection at the top on the metal can b made less apparent? Thanks

completeri1.jpg

63214853kn4.png

Hard to tell from the image shown but another thing to try if you've used a lot of booleans to create the object is to select all polygons and under your edit poly modifier rollouts click 'retriangulate' then at the bottom click 'auto smooth'. This should clean up your mesh. Might be worth a try. :)

I am pretty sure its not coplanar most of it such as the dirt and cog and they aren;t coplanar with anything, however, a face below the top face with the dirt is close with a different textured plane but not touching. Any other suggestions?

mick, shall we stick to this thread?...difficult to post the same in 2 threads. lets focus on fixing the noise & ligthning first.

first, your renders are so dark that it is difficult to see what has noise and that does not has it. it is clear to see that the alu look has noise.

that noise is due to two main reasons; HDR map type (try other options in the same HDR slot) and missing ligth. try also other HDR in order to avoid noise in the metalic vray materials.

ligth, I said before, use omnis with low intensity and NO specular (this is a "mechanical" animation). add intensity to those omnis until you see ALL elements in your escene properly and perhaps withouth noise.

please mick, make a new render (only one frame) with this suggestions and post it here.

you can not find the way out?...you may mail me the escene (only 1 frame), I fix it and back to you with the explanation.

Eric, what's your email? Thanks. I do not seem to have any other HDRI any way and when i use omnis, it makes the scene look a bit fake. Could you fix the front side (blotchiness) and back side (black dots etc) of the object. Thankyou

MMulv2

I not sure if this has been mentioned to you already, but bumping up your "Secondary rays bias" a few clicks will solve most co-planner face problems (if that is indeed your problem).

The splotchy stuff is most certainly because your irradiance map preset is set to "Low".

Problem fixed. Increased irradiance map from low to high and secondary ray bias from 0 to 0.004. Only thing is how do i get rid of the reflection of the silver from the first render or make it much less visible? Thanks

Urgent: I was wondering is any1 here good with photoshop as I cannot find any good interior scenes with a table that i can put my object on and render (from a distance) to make it look likes its a photograph. Could someone please edit it in an image (computerised or real( if i provide them with a render of the object in any desired position? As it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

hey Mick, received and opened u'r file.

it looks like you have sort out somehow the problem yourself ;)...tho, my comments.

u'r file is 1.070.700 polys!! :eek: imposible to render a vray scene in short time with such amount of polygones...well perhaps with a pc with a 2 x quad and 20 gb ram in a render farm or using vray Distributed Rendering :rolleyes:

either you merge your cad/inventor, etc again and choose an option that gives you much less polygones or, no matter what u do, u won't be able to make fast render with on ok quality. if you do not have acces to the original file and know how to reduce the amount of polys it, would certainly be a great help.

definatelly, if I was u, I would simply model the pieces again in 3d max and get max 10.000 polys instead. with 10.000 polys u can render the same escene in no time (in less then 5 min/frame)...and as u are speaking about an animation, that would be the easiest way...if you want to save MANY hours rendering.

I will mail you a very fast vraysetup for you to try.

with low polys, you can simply use a vrayligth with 2.0 intensity and 20 subdivisions above the mechanic, use 0.6 in the enviroment skyligth and that's it. HDR, simply find THE BEST angle to avoid weird reflections.

u'll here from me 2 night...CET

regards Eric

btw, learn how to use layers, it would help you a lot in the future ;)

I would remodel it but the animation has to be done in 2 days time. So Im gonna render it it at 640 x 480. But how else can i cut down rendering time, unless you could possibly remodel it for me over a few hours :) Thanks anyways. BTW COULD YOU SEND ME IT IN 8 or 9 hours after i post the message as i live in australia and need to render the animation overnight. Thanks

Edited by mmulv2

remodeled?...that's u'r job block :p

I send u a much faster setup then yours...(nothing special but cutting on some features)

[ATTACH]26970[/ATTACH]

if noise, add noise threshold, you need to change the output size to match your animation/render & IMPORTANT (AGAIN): FIND THE RIGTH HDR ANGLE TO AVOID WEIRD REFLECTIONS!

however, good luck with your project and hope you have learn something out of this...to use max & vray need properly u still need to know u'r limits and try to overcome them...eventually.

regards Eric

Eric? I have had a play around with the settings and got it down to 12 mins/frame at 640 x 480 but need to cut time in half. I have irradiance map setting set to very low with brute force. What should i change here?

hey Mick,

my file is a zipped "vraysetup"; unpack the file, place it in

C:\Documents and Settings\Mick\Dokumenter\3dsmax\renderpresets or wherever u can find it. then, simply "upload" it in your vray render escene (bottom of the window where there is a "preset" choise).

test and see the difference, I'm positive it'll be faster ;)...tho dunno how much faster! :rolleyes:

hurry block :)