Pshop or Pshop Elements?

Eric

I'd like to get some opinions on which might be better for our company to consider purchasing. I've used photoshop since 1996, but the company I'm working with now needs to purchase a copy in the near future. For those of us in the 3D field, what is your opinion on which would be better? Of course, Photoshop would be better, but it's more expensive. Elements has some neat features, but it's probably not as powerful, but it's cheaper. So, is anyone here using Elements? If so, have you run into any limitiations with it?

well, eric i can asure you that photoshop elements has all that you´ll be using in this kind of work (color adjusting, photomontage, composintin, filtering ...).Some features have different path´s but you´ll get the same results.Just try it, you can get a full personal license in printing acessories.I did :ebiggrin:

i recently purchased 2 photoshop elements 2.0 seats.

i'm more than satisfied with it.

it's 70€ vs. 900€ (photoshop) and does everything that is really needed for 99% of the tasks, with the familar photoshop interface.

i gave GIMP a look, as an alternative to photoshop, but it is such a messy, buggy and fragmented application (at least the windows version) that i can't expect architects to be able to work with it.

PE has the great advantage that everyone who knows photoshop can immideately work with it.

of course it can't replace the full photoshop, i can't live without photoshop, but i also can't justify 900€ per seat just because some guys in the office want to adjust scanned photos now and then.

highly recommended...

(ps...there is a 30 day trial version at adobe.com)

[ March 26, 2003, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: plastic ]

Originally posted by Craig Ramsay:

The problem with elements when we looked at it is that it can only be used in RGB mode which is fine for web, screen etc but if you want to do printing then you are kind of snookered.

Craig

what kind of printer do you have?

all our printers have RGB-only drivers, the epson A4 and A2 printers, the hp 800 plotter the oce plotter...

it also never happened to me that a printing house requested CMYK files...

of course it can't replace the full photoshop, i can't live without photoshop, but i also can't justify 900€ per seat just because some guys in the office want to adjust scanned photos now and then.

We will follow the same route...

Anyone knows the major tools that are NOT available in PE (compaired to PS)?

tnx

nisus

Guess I'll just have to download the trial and dig into it and see what I think. As long as it has adjustment layers, the ability to "rubber stamp", layer masks, and different modes for layers such as "overlay", it'll probably do what most of us need. We can pretty much assume it has a huge assortment of filters for various effects.

Okay. I just installed the current Demo for Photoshop Elements from the Adobe website. I've been using Photoshop 5.5, and from what I can see in the Elements trail, it will do everything Photoshop 5.5 will do, and then some. I'm sure it's not as powerfull as the current version of Photoshop, being that they haven't implement cool things like the bandaid tool, but Elements will definitely do what most of us need. No, it will do what we all need if you've been good enough to get along on 5.5.

Elements is what I'll be pushing for.

Right. There is no CMYK option. However, I haven't found a printing company that is good enough to get prints anywhere close to what I'm able to get on our little HP 1220C Inkjet, or our HP Designjet 5000PS, so CMYK is the least of my worries. Also, I never said it was the same as the full Photoshop (assuming you're referring to the newest version). I said it looks like it will do everything 5.5 will do, and then some. Of course, I didn't notice the CMYK feature missing, but I very rarely use CMYK anyway.

So, in my opinion, if you can get along with 5.5, as I've done for several years, you can get along with Elements just fine, unless CMYK is really an issue for anyone, then I guess you can shell out 8 times the additional cost.

Well I use CMYK a lot to do color retouching, but I even do more retouching in LAB. I really love that color mode: so easy to adjust contrast without touching colors and lovely to get rid of color casts!

What else is different between PSE and PS7?

nisus