Slow material Editor Max 2009 64

TheMulf

Dell 2X Dual Core Xeon

4 GB ram

Quadro 3450

Windows XP 64

Vray

Our studio recently upgraded to Max 2009 from 08 (which ran pretty darn well), and among some newly added crashes the material editor runs dog slow.

Scenes that ran fine in 2008 mat editor now run extremely slow in 09. All of us are expirencing a slower material editor at the studio, has any one else encountered this? All of this is using vray materials inside multi-subs that span 10-20ish slots.

We're experiencing the same exact issue's here. We're running Geforce 8800 GTX's with the latest driver's in DirectX mode and it's pretty painful to sit and watch the material editor slowly build out all the previews while we twidle our thumbs. Hope someone comes up with a solution to this soon.

I'm having the same issues here, but that solution didn't work on my end.

I've tried starting with an empty scene, and anytime I open the Material Editor with VRay as the renderer, it comes to a crawl. I can swith renderers to scanline or mental ray, and everything operates great. It's just when I have vray as the default renderer.

I'm running:

XP Professional x64, SP2

Intel Core 2 Quad @2.4GHz

4GB RAM

GeForce 8800GTX

Thanks for the response Brian,

That fixed it, but there is no way I can operate off the network. My question now is how come this wasn't an issue with max 2008, and how do I quickly fix this?

a lot of default settings were changed with 2009. i think their is a preference setting somewhere that allows you to prevent max from looking so hard for these paths. might want to look around for something like that.

• 3 weeks later...
I've tried starting with an empty scene, and anytime I open the Material Editor with VRay as the renderer, it comes to a crawl. I can swith renderers to scanline or mental ray, and everything operates great. It's just when I have vray as the default renderer.

Hi Folks,

Has anyone found a definitive answer to this problem as I am having exactly the same issue. If I select scanline or mentalray every thing works fine but when I select Vray the material editor takes a nap. I have tried disconnecting my network, I have removed all map paths except the default ones but still no luck. If anyone has the answer I would really appreciate it.

I am running

Visat Buisness 32bit, Vray SP2

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @2.4GHz

4GB RAM

GeForce 8800GTX

Is the Geforce 800GTX the common factor here?????

Hi

Some options to verify (maybe combined):

- try to use another rendering engine from “assign renderer” for the material editor ….in this case you`ll be sure about the results only in the final rendering (anyway the results are influenced by the lighting)

- choose less sample windows in the material editor (3x2)

- try other settings for the display driver and maybe a new driver

Best regards.

Mihai

it might be because you have network paths defined in the material editor which dont exist. if there are, then max will spend several minutes looking for them. if you disconnect from the internet and it speeds up, then that is the reason.

i am still running max2k8 but downloaded and installed 2k9 30 day Trial version

i Think i remember reading somewhere something about UNC not being allowed

or at least being somewhat of an issue 4 max2k9

does This ring a bell for anyone else? i Think you have To use whatever The alternate method of pathing

either hardcode or have The maps stored locally on The rendering machine

dont quote me, i will see if i can find This somewhere

i dont do network rendering (notwork) so not up To speed on This

upgrade = downTime

randys rule of Thumb, More is Less.

Thanks

The license server is running, my drivers for my Quadro are up to date, running Vray SP2 and Max 2009 with all the latest hot fixes. This is defiantly a VRay SP2 related issue, and I'm curious if anyone has the same issue with SP2 and an older version of 3DS Max.

What ever the fix is, its probally going to have to come from Chaos Group.

I wonder if Max 2009 is as "vray friendly" as 2008??

Microsoft is famous for using undocumented features in the operating system and then changing them and not releasing the information publically. Since it's undocumented, they don't have to 'support' it with backwards compatibility.

Naturally the Microsoft programmers are aware of 'X' no longer working properly and use the (new) 'Y' instead.

This gives Microsoft products (like Word) an advantage over the competing products (Word Perfect, for instance).

Wonder if that's what is happening here...?

Microsoft is famous for using undocumented features in the operating system and then changing them and not releasing the information publically. Since it's undocumented, they don't have to 'support' it with backwards compatibility.

Naturally the Microsoft programmers are aware of 'X' no longer working properly and use the (new) 'Y' instead.

This gives Microsoft products (like Word) an advantage over the competing products (Word Perfect, for instance).

Autodesk is famous for using undocumented features ... and then changing them and not releasing the information publically. Since it's undocumented, they don't have to 'support' it with backwards compatibility.

Naturally the Autodesk programmers are aware of 'X' no longer working properly and use the (new) 'Y' instead.

This gives Autodesk products (like mental ray) an advantage over the competing products (Vray, for instance).

lingua substitutus, pure conjecture

(i like mental ray anyways = free!!)

still running 3dsmax2k8 but i like The mr rendering in 2k9 more better

I'm sure it's not a UNC paths issue as i'm not using UNC paths. I know others who have been using UNC paths without a problem. I'm sure it's a license thing a graphics card incompatability or some other path configuration. As to which I have know idea.

If it is a license issue, how could it just affect the material editor alone? I'm not the one in the office that sets it up, so I apologize for not being very knowledgeable. What can I test or check or have changed with the license server?

Anyone noticed that when you render with MR - even after messing with affinity, it kills your ability to do anything else? I used to email/surf when I was waiting for test renders, but now when i type as its rendering, its MASSIVELY slow, and I can sit there and watch it slowly catch up. Weird.