Help!! Corrupt file AutoCAD!!! how can get my stuff back???

1eo

Holy ****! I **** up big time...

I was editing an xref (using refedit) and all of the sudden a whole block just disappear!!

It's not just a block like a door or a window it was the "new addition" block. I divided the project using blocks: New addition / existing / to be removed... etc

Anyway, it's gone! So I go and start looking for the .bak files (backup). Well, because it's an xref and I usually edit it using "refedit" I could only find one .back file from last month

So I go back, into the damage xref file. Everything looks fine with the exception that the entire new addition block is missing. So I find the block in the block list, but when I try to put it in the work area it doesn't show up

any recommendations!!??

maybe now is not the best time to give you a lecture on regular system backups, so i won't.....

if the problem really is that the drawing info was lost, try looking in the directory where autocad makes 'autosave' files (check under file options for exact location)

what you are looking for might not be a .dwg, but rather an .SV$ or an .AC$ file (it might not even have the proper drawing name)

you will have to rename them as .dwg and see what is there.

hope that helps......i still am suspicious about losing info during refedit though. are you sure it's not a layer issue ?

maybe now is not the best time to give you a lecture on regular system backups, so i won't.....

if the problem really is that the drawing info was lost, try looking in the directory where autocad makes 'autosave' files (check under file options for exact location)

what you are looking for might not be a .dwg, but rather an .SV$ or an .AC$ file (it might not even have the proper drawing name)

you will have to rename them as .dwg and see what is there.

hope that helps......i still am suspicious about losing info during refedit though. are you sure it's not a layer issue ?

you solve my problem in the complete opposite way... The first thing I did was to look in the 'autosave' folder and not where most people will look first. I found a newer .bak in the same folder than my dwg.

I got it :p

"hope that helps......i still am suspicious about losing info during refedit though. are you sure it's not a layer issue ?"

100% sure... something happen that corrupted the block

Edited by 1eo

I bought two network hard drives as I wanted to have one mirror the information of the other one. However, I was unsuccessful making it work... I think now is a good time to try again

;)

Edited by 1eo

I bought two network hard drives as I wanted to have one mirror the information of the other one. However, I was unsuccessful making it work... I think now is a good to try again

;)

funny you mention that ! i had the same system in place except my mirrored drive was not plugged in.

didn't figure that out until the primary drive was fried......not good.