Uv Map Issue

Arnold Grove

I also have a uv map issue. I have a room w/ 4 brick walls. The widths and lenths are equal, that is a reqtangular shape. 20x40....

I have the walls set w/ a multi sub object

each wall has its own id, 1 thru 4 (all brick settings will be same however)

i apply a uv map and then a vray displacement mod.

Ive tried it w/ 2 uv map mods...widths are the same so thats 1 ID

lenths are the same so there's the 2nd ID

Ive also applied 4 uv mods..one for each wall...Ive given each uv map mod the proper id channel

no matter what i do..there's always one wall that the map is applied incorrectly..ive tried every setting on both the material and uv mod pallate

do I need 1 uv mod or 4 for each wall...or 2...one for the width and one for lenth?

I cannot figure out what the heck is wrong. It should be an easy thing...4 walls with the same brick texture settings for all 4 walls

also...do I need a use uv map mod to get the vray displacment mod to look right?

thanks, ag

If the bricks are all the same size then why have 4 map channels? Why not use box mapping and have one ? If there is 2 different materials then use material id's to have the walls the different materials but have them all on the same map channel.

if its causing you a load of greif just detach the faces and do them seperately (long winded but if you have a deadline it will save you alot of dicking around), as long as you invert your disp and have a minus value in the disp modifier it won't give you any gaps on the corners.

thanks ian

no shhhhooot

actually i thought of this but i avoided it because i didnt want to be lazy and figure out the problem

and i also thought that this might cause problems down the road (unforseen) if I didnt keep it as one object but you hit the nail right on

is having four separte materials a problem? I thought having it all on one multi sub mat it would make editing easier since my scene has MANY materials.

but as i go im starting not to like multi mats so much :eek:

(sorry for delay in reply)

Edited by Arnold Grove
content

4 mats should be fine, one thing to avoid though is applying one disp modifier to seperate objects i.e selecting them all and just adding the displacement to the lot,in theory this should be the same as instancing the displacement but in my experience it tends to stop your objects from appearing in the render ??!!

As for multi subs I hate them also, In some cases i will even add edit mesh modifiers ontop of the edit polys just so i can apply seperate mats to parts of the same object (although it becomes a multisub once you've done that but it makes me feel better):D