Image lighting problem

pwharton

I am hoping someone can help me with one major issue I am having or can direct me to where I may possibly find an answer. Attached is an image done in max, and only “auto levels” applied to it in Photoshop. On my machine it looks great, nice soft shadows and you can see the details in the darker areas . If I print or move the image to another machine or upload to the web (as is the case here) it look dark and harsh can’t see the details and some of the shadows are even black. I have been back and forth with this issue with Dell and Nvidia to no solution. This is not a max specific problem on this machine, all of my graphic programs are giving me the same thing on this machine. I have adjusted the monitor as best I can and uploaded the latest drivers and looked at the software for any problems that I could spot. I even got a Spyder Color calibration device, but I still have the same problem, any thoughts?

This is machine is approximately 10 month old. I am running on a 32 bit Dell Precision Intel Core 2 2.66ghz, running Window XP pro, Service pack 3 with 3GB Ram and an Nvidia Quadro FX 550 Graphic card. Please let me know if you have any questions on my set up I have not answered here. I need to find out what this problem is and solve it because right now this machine is no god to me as a graphic machine.

have you looked into LWF (linear workflow) I don't know much about it but you can find tons of threads on the subject. It might be the solution to your problem. I also had problems with print coming out way darker that the screen. My solution was to adjust the gamma in photoshop CS3 in the exposure options.

1) Make sure you have the monitor profile assigned in Photoshop. Most monitor manufacturers have this available on their website

2) Make sure you remove any "color profiles" before saving the jpeg. This is notorious, at least for me, in creating a beautiful image on my NEC CRT in Photoshop, but utter "shait" on any other monitor I own, LCD included.

3) Play around with the image ( in Photoshop) until you are able to produce a suitable image from your printer. Use this as your new base.

4) Don't rely on "Auto-Levels". It can have a mind of its own sometimes :)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lester_Masterson
needed to add something

Thanks,

..As I have found out the Gamma settings were not correct. I have ajusted it per the program for my monitor but I am still working with it to make sure its correct for uploading and printing out side of my machine.