Sketchup to Max 2009 (solved)

upshot

I thought I'd share this with the community since I struggled through it and finally found a very good solution. If you've ever tried to make the transition from SU to MAX then you know the headache I've been going through. This solution runs $50 (3d object converter) but it works so well I think it's well worth the outlay (considering you DON'T need SU pro for the process you just saved $450.. go buy a plugin) . Why is this method you ask? Because you don't have to completely reorganize/explode/destroy your SU model, everything is organized 'by materal' and all the UV mapping and textures come to! Here's the step by step:

1. Use the excellent SU2KT plugin to export an .xml (make sure you say 'yes to export photomatch) this will export the bitmap textures to a TX_filename directory as well

2. move all the bitmap textures to the same directory as the .xml (so that 3d object converter can find them)

3. Open the .xml with '3dOC' and save as Wavefront .obj/.mtl (be sure not to use hyphens or other weird characters as this will confuse MAX when it looks for the .mtl file)

4. Import into max and set the scale to 39.37 (the units get converted to meters in the process)

Vola! you have a model organized by texture, with all the 'front face' normals intact AND all the materials and UV mapping intact! Everything will be numbered so the only thing you'll have to do is rename objects and materials (not a big deal). You also may find some weird smoothing errors but again no biggie.. Just go into the face modifier and remove/rework the smoothing groups.

You can thank me with beer or answer this question (yuk yuk):

question... Does anyone know how to batch convert all these standard materials into Mental Ray or Arch+Des. materials while retaining the bitmaps in the diffuse slot?

Edited by upshot

Any particular reasons why you don't export as 3ds or obj directly from SU? Are there problems when loading them into Max?

My favourite workflow from SU to LightWave is to export as 3ds, selection only, as single object. Then i have full control of how the model is separated into objects, and keep all UV and materials. If I later would need to split objects into different materials (I never do) it's very easy to do in LW. But the 3ds export from SU allows you to export by Materials too.

yea.. gave it a quick try on my "problem" model, and seems as if it would be pretty much the same results as 3DS with 'by material' (At least, it didn't do any better in terms of guessing normals than the regular exporting)

but basic flow using 3ds w/ by mat:

add a vertex weld modifier, smooth modifier, collapsing back to mesh, then i have a couple 1 liner scripts that help out ;)

First delete the "Model" dummy object, then for each object in your selection, append that objects parent name to the front of the selected objects name.. (Since the crap models comes in a hierarchy of material name -> meshXXXX..)

for obj in selection do if (obj.parent != undefined) do obj.name = (obj.parent.name + "_" + obj.name) 

delete any objects that dont have any faces after we do the rename..

for obj in selection do if (obj.numfaces == 0) do delete obj

then i normally collapse each material into a single object, but thats up to you.

Were you having problems with 3DS export from Sketchup? That's always worked fine for me... just need to hit Autosmooth and weld all the vertices...

tons of problems... after I worked out this method I wondered why I ever went 'SU pro' ($50 vs. $500 hmmmm). Here's the biggest problem I had, all groups had to be exploded and the entire model had to be layered by material to get objects into MAX by material. Mapping? forget it! (at least in my experience) and that's one of SUs' strong points (quick and easy mapping). Pushpin and photo match mapping? Forget it! (again in my experience). The list of complaints goes on but I'm trying to forget them... ;-)

Any particular reasons why you don't export as 3ds or obj directly from SU? Are there problems when loading them into Max?

I think others will agree... It's unfortunately just not that easy. The SU2KT is the key here. It does all the 'preparation' for you. No need to reorganize, explode, etc...

Oh! you don't need Sketchup Pro to do this? Well that's a definite benefit.

I've always had luck either exporting 3DS "by material" or as single objects, depending on the model. First way requires collapsing all the by material groups into meshes and welding, second requires welding and then going into multi/sub materials, but either way I've had my mapping preserved.

never had any issues exporting as 3ds. And I always build up the main blocks in Sketchup, unless the design calls for more organic shapes.

If it works for you, my best wishes. I never implied that it's 'impossible' or 'unworkable' to use .3ds... Just trying to help by showing an easier and cheaper way for my fellow artisans. Ya dig?

I'm guessing you: A.have full control of the SU model (rather than inheriting someones method/madness) B.don't use layer upon layer of grouping/sub grouping C.organize your layers based on material or group based on material D.don't mind smoking $500

Edited by upshot

If it works for you, my best wishes. I never implied that it's 'impossible' or 'unworkable' to use .3ds... Just trying to help by showing an easier and cheaper way for my fellow artisans. Ya dig?

I'm guessing you: A.have full control of the SU model (rather than inheriting someones method/madness) B.don't use layer upon layer of grouping/sub grouping C.organize your layers based on material or group based on material D.don't mind smoking $500

Yes to A and C, B somewhat, and NO to D...:p

As much as I like max, Sketchup has got to be one of the best softs for architects. Simple to use, intuitive, the possibility of having rendering plugins like Vray or Maxwell...plus it has a ton of space for improvement. I see a bright, very bright future for sketchup and architecture.

i'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but you can open SKP files in the rhino demo and save to 3ds

Now that's a new one on me! Do you get all the correct textures/uv mapping/photomatched/pushpin textures as well as correct front face normals and the entire model organized by material no matter what the layer/grouping method used?

Sketchup Pro is $500 you CHEAP ASS!!!

LOL! the pro exporters and layout are very useful to be sure but I simply found the transition to max to be very dependent upon the organization of the SU model (leading to a ton of consuming prep work) and very lacking in the WYSIWYG factor.

Edited by upshot

Now that's a new one on me! Do you get all the correct textures/uv mapping/photomatched/pushpin textures as well as correct front face normals and the entire model organized by material no matter what the layer/grouping method used?

yes i open sketchup models in rhinoceros and i have all the textures uv mapping etc.

i do have to WELD command on the mesh to get the smoothing angle set where there are faked segment mesh radius stuffs

but basic flow using 3ds w/ by mat:

add a vertex weld modifier, smooth modifier, collapsing back to mesh, then i have a couple 1 liner scripts that help out ;)

First delete the "Model" dummy object, then for each object in your selection, append that objects parent name to the front of the selected objects name.. (Since the crap models comes in a hierarchy of material name -> meshXXXX..)

then i normally collapse each material into a single object, but thats up to you.

Dave-

I just got a chance to try this method out and it works great! Thanks for the info.

Sketchup Pro is $500

Rhino was 145 for a full commercial version at a student price ( http://www.novedge.com/products/2572 ), when I put Penguin 2 as the shademode it looks like sketchup but with about 15 more display settings that are all customizable.

su seems steep in price to me for something so simple

,just saying i am not a "cheap ass", I am a human being who finds great value and seeks to share it. the ability to use this to transfer from pdf to dwg or skp to 3ds etc.

I am a human being who finds great value and seeks to share it. the ability to use this to transfer from pdf to dwg or skp to 3ds etc.

:rolleyes: Or you could say you found a way to cheat the system. I know there's a policy of not promoting the use of pirated software here, but I'm not sure how this fits in with those rules. What you're doing is unethical. You shouldn't promote it. Especially since the software is so inexpensive and they're generous enough to provide a free version.

:rolleyes: Or you could say you found a way to cheat the system. I know there's a policy of not promoting the use of pirated software here, but I'm not sure how this fits in with those rules. What you're doing is unethical. You shouldn't promote it. Especially since the software is so inexpensive and they're generous enough to provide a free version.

Come on now, using Rhino to convert your Sketchup models is hardly unethical. Buying it at a student price if not a student would be, but providing a link to a web site that sells it legit and requires proof of studentness isn't. Google chose to provide a free version, which helps them in their plans for world domination by giving a free platform for making Google Earth content. They don't require that the free version not be used for commercial work, or that files made in it not be used in other software.

actually google threated to take action on the company i work for if we didn't remove the free versions of google earth and skethup. as that is part of the EULA not to use for profit the freeware.

where as it is not unethical to use a student version of Rhino for commercial purposes to make money, as it is actually encouraged, McNeel having the best license policy in the proprietary world. http://www.rhino3d.com/eduproducts.htm

I will not be upgrading to v5 at educational prices i think.

( i miss read, yes buying at student price if not a student would not be ethical, but it is not that hard to take a CC class)

now i use MS virtual earth instead http://maps.live.com (i like the birds eye views, often higher resolution than the plan view) . and they payed for a few pro licenses

Edited by Antisthenes