Tutorial: Overcast --> Sunshine

nisus

Hi all,

Where can I find a good tutorial on how to transform an picture taken at an overcast day into a bright sunshine?

As an extension where can I find a tutorial on how to turn a daylight picture into a night view?

rgds

nisus

hi nisus,

supposing this isn't a joke, try matte-painters sites, they do this all the time; it all depends on your photos: lighting up nyc from a dayview can be quite different than moonlighting a lake, you see what i mean? daytime photos are a question of shadows and contrast and you should be able to do this without any advice, just follow your eye.

if you have specific photos upload them and i'll do my best to tell you what i would do (i work a lot with photoshop)

rgds,

alex

Hi Alex,

This is no joke at all. ;)

The most common situation is that we are in very short time to take photographs, so we can't wait a week or so for the wheater to be nice (belgium, you know...).

The problems I run into everytime is that when the wheater is overcast, I don't have the harsh shadow/light details I need for sunlit images. I can boost up the contrast of course, but since it is a more like a change of ambient light, adding contrast doesn't really add shadows.

Walk through these before/after pictures to see what I mean:

http://www.ams.be/advalvas/items/01VON/advalvas_01VON.html

Anyway, tnx for the tip on matte-painters-sites. Do you have any suggestions/urls?

rgds

nisus

• 1 month later...

Try Aurora -- its at web page .

Its a plug-in that allows you to change the weather very easily. You move everything in the foreground to one layer, delete out the sky with the wand and a little clean-up then Aurora creates a 3D sky.

Aurora also handles lighting and water with reflection.

Here is a sample:

Digital Element Gallery

Cheers!

Don

[ August 20, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Don McClure ]