Orthographic vray physical camera question

Three D

hi. can anybody please tell me how to change my vray physical camera to orthographic projection to render elevations of my model. i can do it easily enough using the standard max camera but exposure is then a problem. thanks for your help.

not a strong v-ray user, but im guessing from the terms 'physical' and 'orthographic' that this is not possible. no physical camera will ever be able to see a scene in ortho.

perhaps a very very narrow lensed physical camera placed far enough away from the model may give a close enough to ortho projection?

You can also use the following method:

set the focal length of the physical camera to something around 2000mm, maybe 4000 depending on how large your building is, and place the camera very far from the building so you can see it all. This will give you an almost orthogonal projection (the difference is not visible even at large resolutions). I've tried this and it worked just fine.

hope it's not too late.

The method that was discussed on the chaos boards was to switch to reinhard color mapping, then drop the multiplier to .01 or .1 (I don't remember exactly). Basically less things to mess with to get the right look.

i think i typically go .015 or .2. can't remember which. it has been a couple of months since i have done this, but if i remember right, i think .01 looked to dark to me.

i also think this is the best method, but another thing to note is that you will need to color correct in Photoshop because you loose the white balance controls of the Vray physical camera.

• 1 year later...

andstef, i like this suggestion since i need to use the vray camera (i am working with displacement) but I find it almost impossible to get my camera in just the right position to see the building once the focal length is that long - any tips for dealing with this new problem?