Bentley and Dosch 3d objects

apychewicz

I recently purchased Dosch 3d objects (Trees People Cars) which according to the website are compatible with Bentley Architecture. However, after importing as 3ds files and saving them as dgn there are some serious mapping issues with the leaves. I have tried just about every combination and scale to fix this however have not come up with a solution. I dont think that Bentley is capable of mapping these materials properly and I was wondering if anyone has been successful with these products in microstation. Thanks.

I am not at all surprised by this Adam. It is unfortunate, but I think Bentley think thinks it can "be" a viz software...I have some bad news for them, we are still 5 years away from BIM software being able to produce reasonable renders and I don't think they will EVER replace software like 3ds, Maya, and the like when it comes to high end viz.

• 8 months later...
I am not at all surprised by this Adam. It is unfortunate, but I think Bentley think thinks it can "be" a viz software...I have some bad news for them, we are still 5 years away from BIM software being able to produce reasonable renders and I don't think they will EVER replace software like 3ds, Maya, and the like when it comes to high end viz.

Well, maybe not replace but be a viable alternative? Which version of Microstation do you refer to? This is important because the V8i release includes a new rendering engine licensed from Luxology which is claimed to be a major improvement; Bentley supposedly chose it from ten contenders.

Let me state my primary function is design, not rendering so I can't give an opinion but Luxology may be worth a look; the advantage (?) being that it is integrated in Microstation, not an add-on requiring additional expense.....

The issue might not be Bentley actually but the 3ds files that you imported. The 3ds file format is well known for messing up the mapping coordinates... I am not familiar with bentley, but is there another file format that you can use for import? Autodesk uses fbx which works like a charm.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you are right, but I still think that the latest Microstation developement is a step in the right direction: the Luxology Render engine is now fully integrated.

Here are some of my test rendering with Microstation V8i: 3d blog