Lounge - Max 2009 Design, MR

Hi,

I'm trying to do a 'test' Lounge in Max 2009 Design and Mental Ray (mr Physical Sky, Sky Portals, Global Illumination with 30 bounces, Final Gather with 3 multibounces, ProMaterials where I can, A&D otherwise, JPG of the Cutty Sark on the wall in a matted frame).

I have some floor lamps with self illuminate switched on and told it to use a D50 globe. (I was told a D65 light is almost pure white while a D50 is a warmer light, very much like a standard incandestic bulb)

I'd like to get some 'light pools' coming off the floor lamps, but not sure how to do it. I can see the self-illumination when I get up close to the shade in the viewport, but it doesn't want to render. The back corner is a bit darker than the rest of the room (which is realistic, I feel), and some supplemental lighting would be good.

I'm GUESSING that since there is a physical (realistic) lighting solution in the scene, that the 5 or 10 candelas from the light globe won't contribute much to the lighting solution.

There seems to be some 'noise' near the windows, too, on the walls. That's a ProMaterial WallPaint (which I guess is just an A&D with some presets). I've rendered this with a preset of MEDIUM on the anti-aliasing, but maybe I need to tweak it?

This room isn't complete yet - need to add more 'doo dads' and 'trinkets' to the lounge room, but c&c's are welcomed.

sunroom-09-Camera-01-photoshopped.jpg

Camera 1

sunroom-09-camera-02.jpg

Camera 2

sunroom-09-camera-03-photoshopped.jpg

Camera 3

(I forget to merge the rug in on the first 2 renders)

I just ended up putting a photometric 'omni' light aligned to the light globe. It was casting weird shadows because of the 'innards' of the lamp shade, so I took them out.

I set the light to 3500 Candelas and put a near/far attenuation on it, and I'm getting some light playing on the walls now.

Thanks Bri

You could also change the mrphotographic to unitless and specify your own physical scale, just like log exposure.

Try lighting the scene without mrsun and sky, and use a portal light instead.

For the lampshade, either exclude it from the lights shadow casting or turn it OFF whilst calculating P/FG and tourn it on again for final rendering.

That floor is scarry;)

jhv

Thanks for all the comments and feedback - gladly accepted and will take on board.

I rendered this while I was asleep, now I'm off to work and will work on the suggestions you all have kindly offered.

I added a photometric light source, omni, put it inside the lamp shades, changed it's intensity to 3500 candelas, enabled Far Attenuation, and played with the start/end settings until I saw the light splashing against the walls and chair.

This let me keep my realistic lighting solution for the majority of the scene, and just 'break' it for those two lamps to get an unrealistic-yet-we-see-this-every-day kind of light in the scene. :)

I think it lit up the corner nicely. I like the reflections on the tile and the coffee table.

I make a horrible carpet, but will give it a go. I think this tiled floor is more appropriate for a kitchen or bathroom.

The tiled grouting is coming from a map I made in photoshop. White box with a black (thin) border, and a thin, gray band near the black (to give a gradient or slope). I can try to adjust it - either make the bands smaller, or make the amount of BUMP smaller (it's currently set to "3" in Max 2009's new scale - which would be equivilent to 0.3 in the Old scale).

Thanks again everyone.

And what I think is interesting is that this image was not photoshopped like the one above it. The lamps actually brightened the room quite a bit - more than I expected - without blowing it out.

sunroom-10-camera-03-photoshopped.jpg

hold a minute... you have crown moulding but no base board :)

wrap the tile up the wall and recess it to flush out with the surface of the gyp bd and leave a 1/2" reveal between the top of the tile base and bottom edge of gyp bd.

Thanks mate... Will adjust that in the next go-round.

I appreciate the comments from everyone.

Here is some changes:

* changed to a wooden floor (not as scary! hehe)

* mussed up the rug a bit (trying to add realism - no rug is perfectly straight)

* fixed the speakers so they have pairs and moved them around the room

sunroom-11-camera-02.jpg

Hey TJ - thanks for the feedback! Muchly appreciated.

Here's the render from while I was away - a reverse view. I think the room is starting to flesh out, with the speakers behind the couch.

I'd like to add a big Urn or Floor Vase.

I'll fix the bottom cornice and the t.v. for the next render.

Thanks again everyone. After this, I work on the house for my demo reel/portfolio, so I'd like to get the wrinkles ironed out.

sunroom-11-camera-03.jpg

Hey hey Sandman! You've come a long way in a short time!

Little things like power-points, cables and light switches go a long way to add realism. Also, here's a link to a lamp-lighting technique I learnt from Jeremy Birn's lighting bible...

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/26677-working-lighting.html#post184620

...gives you much more control.

Keep up the good work,

S.

looks brilliant so far dude ;))

the only comment i've got is that sand in the plant pot is a little grey :) - if you make it yellowy it could add some contrast to the green of the plant

i also like the change to a floor - much more believable for a tv room

keep it up!

cheers,

Agree with little details. They simply even just break up fields of white walls.

However, looking at your last image... it looks like a gloomy day outside, like an incoming storm. If it were a nice bright day, Id say sharpen the shadows and get rid of the blue. However, Ill assume its deliberate :) Being a nice winter gloomy day (like we're having up here atm) Id have the lights on... so some specular glossiness coming from some ceiling halogens or something would make it sparkle. Seems very flat, you need some contrast and some speculars... drop your exposures down a bit (dont be scared) and get some strong shadows, and get some artificial lighting in.