Conceptual Design Studio - Greener pastures

aaron-cds

I just wanted to thank everyone who has helped me get to where I am today. The forums have been great.

I'm closing this chapter and starting new. I will be starting soon as a designer / project architect at a downtown Chicago firm. Design is what I've always focused on before starting off on this side venture. I had three good years as a cg artist. With this economy, it's time to pick up with my career as an architect once more.

Cheers, I'm sure you'll still see me around participating in charrettes and rendering competitions from time to time.

Good luck to you Aaron! I've always enjoyed your work and have used it as something to strive for.

I'm sure your skills in visualization will be a powerful tool for your design work, both internally and to the firms clients.

Does your future employer have Viz capabilities in-house? There's always a fine line to tread it seems, from becoming a "designer", to the firm's employee's discovering what you can do, then becoming a "renderer". I've seen a few visualization people get hired with the intent to do architecture, then get sucked back into become the firms rendering person.

The office I'm going to is a place I was at for five years as a designer / renderer. I rendered a lot of the projects I worked on back then. I'm going to be taking on more of a leadership role now in terms of designing and rendering. I may end up doing a small amount of rendering. However, one of the first things I'm going to do is to train some of the younger architects to do renderings.

Aaron,

It has been a pleasure having you as a very active member of this community. I am not sure what to make of your decision of moving on away from the freelance market. I know these are though times with the economy as it is; Job stability is a must especially with a family. I wish you luck and success in your new career opportunity. I am sure you will do just fine. Keep in touch.

E

The office I'm going to is a place I was at for five years as a designer / renderer. I rendered a lot of the projects I worked on back then. I'm going to be taking on more of a leadership role now in terms of designing and rendering. I may end up doing a small amount of rendering. However, one of the first things I'm going to do is to train some of the younger architects to do renderings.

i hope you didn't secretly get hired at my firm cause that's my job!

Hi Aaron,

Good luck with your new work. I am sure they will be happy to see you back.

Hope to see more renders from you, keep visiting.

Can you tell us any specific reason why you leaving freelancing / your own studio setup.

Can you tell us any specific reason why you leaving freelancing / your own studio setup.

Last year I had 54 projects, most of which were high paying normal sized jobs. This year, I've had 15 projects, most of which were low paying small sized jobs. I've written a lot of contracts this year with no luck. I wasn't willing to lower my fees because I knew I had the option to return to a firm as a designer.

You have put forth a point that a lot of freelancer, small studio setups face now days, sometimes including me as well.

One can lower their prices till a limit I think after it reaches par it's no-no.

It's good to know that you have a strong backup.

Keep post and keep inspiring many with your renders.

You have put forth a point that a lot of freelancers, small studio setups face now days, sometimes including me as well.

One can lower their prices till a limit I think after it reaches par it's no-no.

It's good to know that you have a strong backup.

Keep posting and keep inspiring many with your renders.

Edited by Inxa