Vray settings

Brute Guy

I know this question is like asking 'how long is a piece of string' but I've always been interested to see other peoples opinions on my render settings, as these are my sort of 'frankenstein' cobbled together from various forums and tutorial settings.

Its more a question to find if there is something i'm 'obviously' doing wrong, so if anyone has anything to suggest then I would be most grateful.

I often use these settings with a HDRI for my reflections and then use a vray light as my main light source.

Cheers

Marc

How much RAM do you have? I'd increase your "Dynamic Memory Limit" under the System tab. Vray uses that limit if you have displacement or proxies, even if you have it set to static. If you have 4GB of ram I set it to around 3200 (leaving some for windows and other tasks). If you have more then ramp it up accordingly.

If you have a scene with lots of displacement and/or proxies, then you should see a significant speed increase.

Your Irr. map preset is "low".

Interior renders always "high" and exteriors "medium".

Other settings look ok.

This depends on resolution. IRR map is screen dependent, so the bigger the render, the lower the settings can be.

It's better to operate with every parameter particularly. 4 global subd. mult is the way to increase your render time. As I said " It's better to start with default settings". Ideal is 1. If you feel you need more subds for example on the refraction glossy, move it up. Don't touch global subds. And your Pre-Filter parameter on Light cache - 1000. It looks like you make detailed cache with 1200 subd. and then you kill it bluring.

I meant Pre-Filter works like blur. 1000 is too high with 1200 subds. All these parameters depend from your scene. Sometimes 1200 Subd. light cache is not enough, size - 0.06 is not enough. Number of passes equal your cores count. Main meaning of my fount of eloquence is "It's better to start with default settings". Sorry, I say it too often. ;)