boolean subtraction problem...

hockley91

This is probably a silly question.

Okay, when I bring my plines from Autocad into Max, extrude them and then boolean subtract window/door openings from them, I always get a tesselation problem. Lines appear at corners after I perform the operation. I know I can get around that by not subtracting and create the geometries around the openings, but is there a way to boolean subtract without having this tesselation problem?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the creation of long thin faces that then show up on the modified surface as lines when rendered?

If so, it may be the same issue I have faced with Shapemerge. What I have done to solve the problem is subdivide the surface prior to performing the shapemerge, or in your case the boolean subtraction.

Try adding a subdivide modifier to your wall prior to the boolean subtraction and see if it doesn't solve the problem.

• 8 years later...

i registered just to answer your question :p

this issue has accured with me a lot and the answer is really easy

use the Proboolean instead of boolean ( in the same category - compound objects )

proboolean doesnt do any damage to the lines or edges.

and additionally you can pick more than one object in the proboolean command which saves you the headache of re applying the same command for differant objects in your scene

hope that helps

Edited by alibaha