64bit - dual monitor profile management?

BrianKitts

Has anyone come across a solution for managing two monitor profiles on a 64bit operating system? In the past I've always used the microsoft color control applet to manage both profiles, however it does not have a 64bit version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1E33DCA0-7721-43CA-9174-7F8D429FBB9E&displaylang=en

I'm running a quadro 4600 and I've never had good luck managing the profile with nvidia's control panel so I'm looking for another option.

Hey Brian, how ya doing?

I'm running on 64bit with dual screens both calibrated, but I have no idea where to check what im using, except that its nvidia. our network admin does everything for us but he is on holiday.

maybe you can tell me what to look for.

I know that we use the spyder2express to calibrate our monitors

oh, i've got a team meeting, back in 30

Edited by Koper

Things are quite well.... just the daily grind as normal....

We use the gretag macbeth eye1, the company that does their sales (xrite) has a calibration tester you can use to check if an adjustment is being utilized by your monitors. It looks like a universal app that can be used regardless of how you create the profile.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=758&Action=support&SoftwareID=546

We use the same thing, but from what I understand about how this stuff works unless you're using two video cards and can calibrate them individually for each monitor a single video card will not give you perfectly calibrated colors for your secondary monitor. It has something to do with memory and the secondary monitor suffers because of it. Using LCD screens of the same type and model will help with these problems as they are more likely to display colors in the same range. Personally I'm sick to death of messing with color calibration for both printers and monitors. It doesn’t matter how accurate your screens and prints are if your client isn't looking at it on your desktop, they will always see something different and there's noting you can do about it.

true, but when doing production on two screens it is kinda important that both display the same colors, otherwise you'll just keep draging stuff across two screens, or worse, when someone else takes hold of your pc, they might edit on the wrong screen and wrong color spectrum.

Brian, i have to restart the comper, i pressed the reset button on the test app, its all wrong now :mad:;)

see that's the problem your monitors are showing the same profile (which they shouldn't). You are applying the same correction to both monitors, and no two monitors are the same. So most likely which ever monitor you calibrated second that profile is also being assigned to the first monitor, and the first calibration is being ignored.

The attached screen shot is the profiles that are currently assigned to my two monitors. The Gretag Macbeth software tells you how to adjust the monitors independently so that you're adjustment curve isn't as drastic which is why mine are pretty similar. But you can definitely notice the difference in the text values.

I'm currently using a little application called DisplayProfile.exe that Gretag used to give away free, but I can't find a download for it on their site anymore. It allows you to manually change what profile is assigned to each monitor. But you have to do it manually every time you reboot. I'd like to find something like the wincolor applet that is automatic and runs on a 64bit platform.

From what I've found on the net lower end video cards can not manage multiple LUT's, however the high-end video cards can push out two different profiles to each head.

Edited by BrianKitts