How do you think this animation was done?

alias_marks

Came across this animation and it really caught my attention, Very well done if you ask me. I'm curious for those of you more involved in these kind of productions: how much of this is motion graphics in ae etc, and how much was rendered out of 3d do you think?

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/

As far as I can guess, the buildings we rendered in 3d? or maybe just stitched together zoom photographs in AE? With Light effects added?

I definitely think the transitions to the live footage were done in a compositing package. I've also really grown attracted to the work over at squintopera.com and from what I can gather, they use a lot of the same kind of techniques. Is it time to really sink my teeth into learning motion graphics if I want to acomplish work like this, or would you try to do this all in 3d?

Edited by alias_marks
typo

yeah thats awsome technically, seamless transistions. I watched it twice and paused looking for giveaways but its all super slick. (except the soundtrack is really boring)

id say it was a combination of live footage, matte painted / camera mapped textures onto fairly simple 3D geometry then composited together with a few other 3D elements.

the compositing for somethign like that (imo of course) would more likely be done in a more robust compositing package like shake, nuke or fusion rather than a motion graphics package like AE. i quiet like the subtle handheld camera movements in the first section, i wonder if that was a post 'camera shake' effect?

if you want to get into this kind of stuff Mike, Id learn boujou, and mess around with tracking and compositing 3d objects into live footage also maybe have a go ay keying some greenscreen footage over 3d geometry (get some from greenlayers.com). Importing 3dmax camera moves into compositing packages can also be interesting if you are compiing in other 2D elements

That was really cool. I agree it looks like a combination of video, projection mapping onto geometry, and probably some google earth stuff thrown in there. I bet that took some time to create.

Edited by otacon

Well most of the older films that were done in squint were AE based. You can fake a fair bit of stuff and AE is quick to learn and pickup. Plus = low production time!!

But yeah, as what nicnic said, a stronger post-comp program would be better to work with currently. (nic - are you using fusion heaps yet from ryan?)

Bah.

Give me 3 months, a small army of 20 something computer jockeys, and a roomfull of quadcores (I'm gonna need at least 300 machines, thanks) and I'll give you the exact same thing.

Oh, and a helicopter to rent for all my precomposite aerial shots.

And a film crew for my location shots.

And about 384 cups of latte.

Funny. I thought for sure the chick at the beginning was going to turn out to be a dude.