Do i need architecture degree for visualization?

ankit4d

Hi Guys,

I am a bachelor of animation, with 4 years experience in Architectural Visualization. I wanted to know if worldwide visualization studios have a preference for people with a architectural degree background. Will i ever face problem finding job coz i am not a architectural graduate?

Please reply.

Hi Guys,

I am a bachelor of animation, with 4 years experience in Architectural Visualization. I wanted to know if worldwide visualization studios have a preference for people with a architectural degree background. Will i ever face problem finding job coz i am not a architectural graduate?

Please reply.

I'd say it depends more on the quality of your work - just cause you have an arch. degree doesn't mean you know how to use a computer - and vice versa... post your portfolio, or you're soft :)

As a guy who started without an arch degree (8? years ago.) i can say that it can help open up the types of projects and flexibility you can do, but is not strictly necessary for the job.

by open up the types i mean its maybe easier to 'fill in the blanks' on a napkin sketch type early design concept job.

• 2 months later...

Actually I think degree is not important than understanding the drawings or sketchs from architect in visualization works. I've finished master degree in architectural design at Thailand, but I'm not a kind of designer or architect like others. I turn my compass straight to game design and make it to a tools of my visualization work like real-time walkthrough (not animation).

I comment that if you can understand architectural drawings, specification material and after you've seen drawings from architect, you can imagine how building is going to be. That's proof you'll be a good one in architectural visualization work.

Don't worry about your degree, it's just a paper that make you to learn how to feeling successed in something. Remember that feeling, your graduated feeling and use it everytime you think you can't do something or can't be. This feeling will guide you to the way to do or to be like you want.:D

This depends on what job you will have in arch viz. There are different types (3d modeler, animator, photoshop artist, project manager, sales, etc). At our company, many positions don't need degrees, but they are helpful because they can show your level of determination. One position that I believe requires an arch degree is Project Managers. Among many other reasons, I think this gives the PM the knowledge and confidence necessary to work with our developer and architect clients.

you dont need a degree, most architect trained vis artists tend to be too caught up in the mindset of modelling everything and everything being 'accurate' when in fact some art / photography training would be alot more valuable - this is the main reason most arch vis visuals tend to be very dry and unemotive - especially when compared to other 'cg art'

You can learn dimensions and architectural terminology on the job with a bit of effort and some guidance.

totally agree, point in case , I worked wit ha guy many years ago who had a arch degree, he spent more time with the architect discussing desig nelements and how they would be built in real life than getting the cg work done. If we were being commissioned to develope the design thats one thing but when we were commissioned to produce pretty pictures to help win competitions it just got in the way.

Also agree with Eddie about project managers, however a degree in project managment would siut better.

jhv

there is no question that a degree opens doors. You cant argue that those with degrees are given less opportunities. A degree gives you more chances.

regardless, there are many opportunities and chances for those without degrees as well. And once given the chance to consistently prove yourself, you can find many ways to distinguish yourself from those with.

It sometimes seams like those without this credential have more to prove, take less for granted, and work harder than than those with it. I wouldn't balk at hiring someone with the right portfolio, presence and work ethic.

good luck

the man from nantucket