How to delete all the materials in one go from material editor

rakeshtagotra

I wanna know is there amy way to delete all the materials from the material editor or all the materials from the scene in one go. I am using 3dmax 2008. Thanking you all in anticipation.

to remove the materials in the ME, go to the Utilities menu in the ME and click Reset ME Slots. to remove the materials on the objects, go to the Utilities panel, click More and select UVW remove. this utility removes materials and mapping and returns the objects to display only their object color.

to remove the materials in the ME, go to the Utilities menu in the ME and click Reset ME Slots. to remove the materials on the objects, go to the Utilities panel, click More and select UVW remove. this utility removes materials and mapping and returns the objects to display only their object color.

Thanks for helping me. but still i do have one problem. i haven't understood how to remove the materials on the objects.Pls explain in detail with reference image. Thanking you very very much.

Thanks for helping me. but still i do have one problem. i haven't understood how to remove the materials on the objects.Pls explain in detail with reference image. Thanking you very very much.

there's nothing more to explain...again go to the Utilities panel, click More and select UVW remove. what's not working?

Thanks sir thanks for helping me in such a nice way. But sir its still showing the maps which i have used in the scene..... in material editor when we click on standard options there is radio button named scene . what to do to clear all the history of material editor.

Edited by rakeshtagotra

If your wanting to strip the object of all materials - select the object and type into the listener window (little pink box, bottom left of the screen)

$.material=undefined

that'll clear them all together. I also could have misinterpreted the question given its late and I'm tired (and have been looking at max far too long for one day)

yes tommy u r very right. i have followed the brain's method that was very easy and good enough. i have already follow ur method also. but my last question is how to delete these files from material editor. plz help me in that.

your image shows that you have not stripped the objects of their materials. i seriously dont know how to explain it any simpler.

1. select an object
  2. within the Command panel select the Utilities panel
  3. click the More button
  4. select UVW Remove
  5. click the Materials button

if you do this, you cannot possibly have the object contain a material, and if you do this to all objects you cannot possibly have any materials show up in your ME like you do.

actually I'll admit this went right over my head for a second till I realized which utilities panel Brian was talking about (then I slapped my forehead and said duh....)

I don't go into the utilities panel that often other than to do a reset x-form now and then, so here it is clear as day....

actually I'll admit this went right over my head for a second till I realized which utilities panel Brian was talking about (then I slapped my forehead and said duh....)

I don't go into the utilities panel that often other than to do a reset x-form now and then, so here it is clear as day....

doh!

Edited by Brian Smith