mr proxies - I dont' want to have preview render ?

Bernhard

Hello friends,

when creating a mr proxy, it automaticly makes a preview render.

I don't want that, I don't need that.

Why ?

because if max starts to render, it crashes ...

why ?

because I don't have enough RAM.

That's the reason, why I want to use a mr proxy of course, but it doesnt' make sense, that while creating a proxy, this beast want's to render...

well, any way to stop it doing that silly render preview ?

thx,

bernhard

yeah, I already turned off all of them, also the frame buffer... no chance... this is a bit stupid, because why the heck they build a mr proxy, which should have been built exactly for that purpose = render a high poly mesh, which you can't render.... lol:

yeah Justin, I tried to make a mr proxy just from that one mesh, a complelty empty scene file.....

and peng, this is just crazy, who ever was responsible for that weired preview render, didnt' really realize the purpose for the proxy or just the problem ....

sorry, but something like that is really crazy.... lol:

by the way: in vray it works fine, without any pre-render... but I would like to render that heavy model with mental..... unbelievable, I hope I just didn't miss any button I haven't checked.....

thx,

bernhard

Hello friends,

when creating a mr proxy, it automaticly makes a preview render.

I don't want that, I don't need that.

Actually you do need that. Or not the render per se, but the translation step, and the invokation of the geometry shader that writes the data (which is a "render" call).

The fact that you also get an image out of the process is a bonus. The process (well, at least the major part of the process that consumes time + memory) still needs to be done, since it is the "translation" process (to mental ray proxy format).

You can avoid the render step by simply zooming to an empty area before making the proxy, and uncheck the "zoom extents" button in the dialog that appears. Then, for all practical purpouses, the ONLY thing that will happen is the translation step, the pixels you render are black (or background colored, but you get the idea).

well, any way to stop it doing that silly render preview ?

Not really - since the "render" really *is* the "creation process" - it's created by calling the renderer. You can avoid getting actual pixels out of it by zooming to an empty area, as said.

/Z

hmm, well thank you guys for all your help...

@MAster ZAp:

yeaa, that's what I also tried.... but when mental starts the process, I get the RAM Error... even if I already turned of the frame buffer, final gather of course, and all other tings, so basicly it renders black anymore... but, no way, it's crashing...

I switch to vray, to test if it's possible to generate with the same system a vray proxy, from the same mesh.... and yes, it works fine, without having the memory crash....

well, I don't know what else to do.... when rendering in mental, I only can use the low res mesh.... by the way, here is the mesh, my so called limited little 1GB RAM Critter with around ~200.000 polys and bump map only, so I do have distortion on the mesh.... hmm, my high res mesh would have about ~7Million polys on hte highest level.......

1gbcritterds7.jpg

it's also kind of interesting with the displacment map....

with vray, the displacment map worked fine, in mr I followed exactly the steps from that tutorial:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=471915#post471915

but unfortunately, I never could get the right result.... my mesh was getting to thick, and I never could get the same detailed result like the high res mesh really looks like..... I tried the same way with vray, and it worked fine with the low poly mesh...

basicly, I would say, I do have now the same problem with mr and using a displacement map, I already had with vray.....

disp6.gif

but I figured the way out, how it works with vray, and basicly it's really always the minus half from the shift value, independent from the unit setup....

I tried different ways in mr, but failed to get the same result....

Unfortunately, I do have for the next 6 weeks the limitation with vista 32bit and 1GB Ram... a real challenge to get something done... but a good time to test the mr proxies and the mr displacment map I guess....

what else to say, I would really love to test more in combination, that means mr_proxy and displacment......

THANK YOU for every littel help, I really appreciate that much.

bernhard

pretty much as I thought, thanks for the clarification

jhv

There is one thing you can try:

- Make your (empty) proxy object.

- Select it.

- Go to the "Modify" panel

- Open the maxscript listener (= hit F11)

- Type in the lower half (white part of the window): $.flags = 4

- Now click the "None" button and select your source object, and proceed as normally creating a proxy.

The "flags=4" setting causes the proxy creation to skip a step (pretesselation) that is potentially memory consuming. Try this, it may help some.

/Z