Modeling: Selecting single objects on one layer coming from AutoCAD into MAX

Jet

One of the things that have bothered me since the beginning of learning max have been that when I do a model in AutoCAD of an interior or an exterior, If i have a layer called walls, and i do 5 or 6 walls on that layer, when i import them into max, if i want to modify one of the walls, it selects all of the walls on that layer. So how do you just select one of the walls if all 25 walls were on the walls layer in autocad. because in autocad you can just select one wall that is on that same layer, but in max you cant. What is the best way to do that in Max. i would love to rid myself of modeling in AutoCAD if I could become proficient in modeling in max. This is just one of those things that make me put it down and jump right in autocad. Any help is appreciated.

jet

my first suggestion would be to model in MAX, a much more powerful modeling package... but that is an arragant response that does not solve your problems, and I'm sorry.

I am assuming that the way you transfer your model is via DWG, when you import, you import via layers... correct? If so, each layer is an object in MAX, that is what that setting means. I you want to select an individual part of that object you have to select it via the sub-object in MAX.

- Select the whole object (which is the layer from autocad)

- Go into modify panel... your object should be listed as an editable mesh

- You can now select parts of your object by going into sub-objetc mode.

- The sub-object catagory you probably want is "Element"

- An Element is defined by a closed set of faces, so unless your wall is glued to another wall, selecting it shoudl give you the whole wall.

- You can then extract that element from the object and make it a separate object.

Just a note... The translation tools are changing a great deal between max and autocad, but you need the latest max and the latest autocad.

Thanks C!

- You can then extract that element from the object and make it a separate object.

This is the part that i think i dont quite have.

I have all of the other parts you explained, but this part is kind of unclear. ok here is the scenario.

I just finished modeling a building with 4 walls, floor and a ceiling. In Autocad my layers are walls, floor, & ceiling. Now, I convert to 3ds, file and then import into max. While in Max, I select one of the walls, and immediately it selects all 4 walls. So i go into the modify panel and go into sub object mode. Once i select lets say polygon sub object mode, i select one of the walls. How do i extract that wall from the other three walls and put it on an entirely new layer, This would be one of my biggest breakthroughs if this could be answered for me.

Jet

Jet

Thanks Ray!!!!!!!!!!!

man i went to group and then hit detach, and they were all greyed out, so i went to the modify panel, went to edit selection, and then hit detach and put it on detach to element, That is going to be so big, that it isnt funny. Now i wount have to create a single layer for every single wall when in autocad, wow.

Thanks for the help again you all!

Jet