Can't Flip Normals

Elliot

I just upgraded to 3D Max 2009 and I can't flip the normals. On Viz I used to convert to editable mesh and then flip the normals and I could see what was inside a box I made. Now when I followed that same procedure the normals just don't flip. There has to be something I am doing wrong but I can't figure it out.

Any suggestions

Elliot

Thanks to everybody

First of all..... Hello to Fran..... It has been a while..... Your children must be ready for college....! My Triplets are 23 and the twins are now 10.5 years old. The older daughter is about to finish her bachelor on Arts, she never followed the graphic things. She did followed the photography and is doing OK. She found all these rendering stuff to complex for her.

Thanks to everybody as well. It is nice to hear from the original crowd still here....!

I never abandoned Viz or Lightscape but the last several years I have gave up to my partner. He claimed that it will take me longer to model our products than it would take him to build a prototype and just photograph the gadget. Well I caved in, I have to admit that his way was faster.... and perhaps more artistic.... Hi hi hi I still prefer to render the models after I do them on SOlidWORKS..... Hi hi hi His prototyping skills can not beat my renderings..... just to show a concept....! Rendering is far more economical.

After not upgrading VIZ for a while, last week after seeing the article from Chad Warner on Max 2009, I decided to upgrade everything.... AutoCAD 2009, Revit 2009, 3D MAX 2009 and SolidWORKS 2009...... Hi hi hi Now after almost two years away I am having to re-train myself once more..... and of course I can not upgrade myself.... and my memory is getting slower and older..... now 57. My Revit dealer had an 84 year old architect taking the Revit class for the first time.....! My main two architects.... my age..... don't even use AutoCAD, they find it to complex.... Hi hi hi They have a bunch of guys in their production groups.

I would make a box and put something inside the box. On VIZ if I just converted to an editable mesh and reverse the normals, I could see what is inside that box. On 3D Max 2009, it will not allow me to do that..... I started reading and found from that several CG Architect members that have been posting the same question. They came up with the idea of Right clicking on the object and going to the backface culling and checking it out.

I don't have a clue if this is not reversing the normals, but I can see what is inside of the box. After doing all this, I am noticing that the rendering is not processing like it used to do on VIZ. Perhaps it is that I forgot how to do this. I took the small model to Lightscape.... and it worked beautiful... I still like the program....

Thanks

Elliot

Edited by Elliot
grammar

Fran

I knew something was different, but couldn't point at the specific change. I thought they were using the wrong spelling or I forgot my spelling of the gasoline.....

Just the fact that I am still using Lightscape shows my age....!

Regards

Elliot

PD:

Where did BP came from.....!

• 7 months later...

Aaaahh the wonders of Google and CGArchitect !

And nice to learn that I'm not the only one leaving 3DS Max to come back to it some x (put in 6) years later and trying to work out how to do things again.

I had this very same problem, so thank you Elliot !

Yesterday I was following a tutorial and after about 30mins finally worked out how to 'orbit' the scene using the middle mouse button and the ALT key - I was *so, so* over the moon with that one :p.

Just ordered the 1000page vRay Complete Guide so there's a great learning curve to go through- just how I love it ! But I have more than enough on my plate for the time being.

One thing I do notice is how much more material to learn 3DS there is compared to when I first started out (great stuff).

Anyway, on with the rest of this tutorial......

:D

Jez (aged 46)