??? to 3ds Max - Modeling Software

3darchitect

Ok, so I know that this kind of thread has been posted many many times, and I apologize for making many of you repeat yourself for the nth time. However, I can't see to find something that works for me in the 3d modeling realm.

I'm an undergrad architecture student who wants to specialize in 3d Arch Illustration. I would like to rende using 3ds/vray (really, I just want to use vray, but you can only use it with max right now). However, because 3ds is the program I need to import to, I would like some help in this area.

What good modeling programs integrate well with 3ds?!

I am not a fan of Sketchup - the way that it models in faces primarily rather than solids is very distracting for me. I have tried and tried to use MicroStation over and over, but I always get frustrated with its little quirks and badly organized and customizable UI (I'd love to learn it, but its really frustrating for me). I have tried using AutoCAD Architecture 2009 to model, but its 3d powers are not the best.

I guess, I would like to know what people who use 3ds to render use to model. And, if you use 3ds to model, how do you make that work with precise architectural modeling?

I use Microstation all the time and I love it. I would stick with it you will get faster and faster. Learn how to use the accudraw really well and how to save your accudraw settings. Also look into using references and models. It would be interesting what you find bad about microstation?

The booleaning is second to none I think, it never fails!!!!

I am not a fan of Sketchup - the way that it models in faces primarily rather than solids is very distracting for me.?

Hey Luke,

Solids vs faces .... ALL MODELING IN 3D is vertex, edge and polygons. Even in Acad you have the tool set to modify solids at the fundamental level of faces-polygons.

If is best if you are choosing to specialize in 3D to accept the fact that solids (acad) is easier, to some degree, but far from the norm. Not mention the level of control and detial is much greater with the vertex, edge, polygon levels of creation/manipulation. I.E. all other 3D applications.

How's the 'Greenstreet' experience treating ya?

Wm

Solids vs. polygons is a red herring, you can just use Sketchup and pretend you've got solids - as William said, there are really only a few modeling technologies out there and they just have different names and interfaces.

But your assumptions are flawed:

-Vray runs in Sketchup, Rhino and Cinema4D as well as Max, you just need to Google to find the people selling them because those versions are not published by Chaosgroup. (I would not recommend Sketchup for this, it's just not quite at the level of the others.)

-In most areas, Max is as powerful as anything out there - the exceptions being some subd poly stuff that there are more specialized programs for, and the sort of nurbs modeling that Rhino is good for (and don't even think about it, Jonas). Max is also an excellent animation package, and it's usually easier in the end if you can model in the package you're rending in.

-In most areas, Cinema4D is as powerful as Max, and there are some things it's a lot better for.

-Vray is not the only useful renderer out there! There are also mental ray, finalRender, Turtle, Fry, Maxwell, and others, including Cinema4D's native Advanced Render which just (like, last week) got a huge upgrade.

So while Max+Vray is a powerful combination, there are a ton of other ways to go about it, for example (and this is assuming you want a combination of an easy modeler and a good renderer as two different packages): Use CAD to draw plans and elevations, import that to Sketchup and make 3D from it. Import that to Cinema4D, use Cinema to untriangulate and optimize your solids then round all the edges. Fill in any additional modeling of the sorts that are hard in Sketchup and easy in Cinema. Render in either Advanced Render or Vray.

Use CAD to draw plans and elevations, import that to Sketchup and make 3D from it. Import that to Cinema4D, use Cinema to untriangulate and optimize your solids then round all the edges. Fill in any additional modeling of the sorts that are hard in Sketchup and easy in Cinema. Render in either Advanced Render or Vray.

Its awful when someone sums up your professional career in such a short sentence!

Choose whichever 3D app you find to be the most intuitive and ultimately the most productive to your needs.

I highly recommend that you always have AutoCAD at your disposal. It is widely used, fast and easy. Don't worry about being able to model everything in one app.

Be open-minded and creative about how you do your modeling and you will discover your own workflow.

;)

I use Microstation all the time and I love it. I would stick with it you will get faster and faster. Learn how to use the accudraw really well and how to save your accudraw settings. Also look into using references and models. It would be interesting what you find bad about microstation?

The booleaning is second to none I think, it never fails!!!!

I was first introduced to MS last year and I do admit that its 3d tools are very very good. But the program itself is rather...quirky in my opinion. I don't like how the UI is customized, its very confusing for me. Adjusting things like the plan axis and such is very counterintuitive in my opinion. But perhaps its because I just don't know enough about the program.

why dont you just model in max? ps theres a 3ds max section you should post this in.

For me, precise modeling is not very easy in Max. I find it hard to do exact measurements for wall heights, thickness, blah blah blah. I know this might get in the way, because depending on the model, not everything has to be exact. But I am extremely OCD so I like to have things exact, and I just haven't found it to be very easy in Max. I know that it is and can be done, but I don't know enough of the in-s and out-s of the program.

Solids vs. polygons is a red herring, you can just use Sketchup and pretend you've got solids - as William said, there are really only a few modeling technologies out there and they just have different names and interfaces.

But your assumptions are flawed:

-Vray runs in Sketchup, Rhino and Cinema4D as well as Max, you just need to Google to find the people selling them because those versions are not published by Chaosgroup. (I would not recommend Sketchup for this, it's just not quite at the level of the others.)

-In most areas, Max is as powerful as anything out there - the exceptions being some subd poly stuff that there are more specialized programs for, and the sort of nurbs modeling that Rhino is good for (and don't even think about it, Jonas). Max is also an excellent animation package, and it's usually easier in the end if you can model in the package you're rending in.

-In most areas, Cinema4D is as powerful as Max, and there are some things it's a lot better for.

-Vray is not the only useful renderer out there! There are also mental ray, finalRender, Turtle, Fry, Maxwell, and others, including Cinema4D's native Advanced Render which just (like, last week) got a huge upgrade.

So while Max+Vray is a powerful combination, there are a ton of other ways to go about it, for example (and this is assuming you want a combination of an easy modeler and a good renderer as two different packages): Use CAD to draw plans and elevations, import that to Sketchup and make 3D from it. Import that to Cinema4D, use Cinema to untriangulate and optimize your solids then round all the edges. Fill in any additional modeling of the sorts that are hard in Sketchup and easy in Cinema. Render in either Advanced Render or Vray.

One of the things I have learned when it comes to CGI is that most of the programs and program combinations out there can produce the same output. But its how you get there that is individual. One of the main reasons I've chosen to use Max+Vray is because of their popularity. I am teaching myself all of this (3d modeling/rendering is virtually nonexistent in the UWM architecture program), and because Max and Vray have a large community, I automatically have a wider range of tutorials and knowledgeable users to get help from.

I'm not necessarily opposed to learning something new, but I am relatively familiar with the Max UI and basic workings, so for me to learn another program right now isn't very practical. I am just in need of a modeling program that imports well into Max and that is gear more towards architectural modeling.