3ds MAX and W2K SP 4/Hot Fix Issues

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Attention All 3ds max Customers,

We have identified and confirmed that installing the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 causes the corruption of .max files. All 3ds max (.max) files saved with Windows 2000 SP4 installed will no longer load in 3ds max on systems with Windows 2000 SP2 or SP3 installed. Our Engineering Team has narrowed in on the problem and is working with Microsoft to resolve the situation. In the interim it is strongly advised that all 3ds max users do not install the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. If Windows 2000 SP 4 has already been installed it is suggested that customers revert back to SP2 to create usable (.max) file content. This affects all 3ds max files created in versions 3 through 5.1

3ds max files created while Windows 2000 SP4 is installed can be retrieved through either of two workarounds:

Option 1

(Please be aware that some data will still be lost in this workaround.)

Revert Windows 2000 SP 4 Systems back to SP3 or earlier

Use "File Merge" to retrieve data from corrupted .max files created under Windows 2000 SP4 and resave.

Note: If you have Render Effects or Atmospherics in your max file, use the Merge button in the respective dialogs.

Option 2

Open corrupted .max files created under Windows 2000 SP4 in Windows XP and resave.

Revert all systems back to Windows 2000 SP3 or previous.

Bear in mind that 3ds max 5.1 is officially supported for Windows 2000 SP2, so for optimum stability revert to this operating system platform to use 3ds max 5.

Thank you for patience and assistance in getting this problem resolved.

VIZ users please click here

[ July 23, 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Mottle ]

I am going to try out my net render box too, which is an NT4 box and check to see if any problems are there. Even though i am only using Viz R2, i am quite happen with W2k service Pack 4, for all my other bits and bobs, CAD and office software. So i may slow to downgrade again just for the sake of the few VIZ rendering jobs i am likely to be doing at home.

i have just finished sending out a quick 100 frame simple job and am please to say no problems with my old VIZ R2 copy anyhow. :) Mind you, there is the usual few, stops and starts asssociated with setting up net rendering on any few systems i suppose.

Hopefully my VIZr2 copy max files have so few special effects, and atmospheric settings that this problem will fly over my head completely. I would much rather have W2k SP4 and VIZ r2, than have VIZR4 and w2k sp2 (i don't do much rendering at all), because the dual processing capabilities in sp4 seem to have really sounded up alot. I always expect a bit more from a good system with a new Microsoft service pack.

I created the file in VIZ on the w2k sp4 system and rendered *.ifl animations on the NT4 sp6 old pentium 2 box, no problem.

• Administrators

Dear Customers,

In an effort to inform all reported important bugs and workarounds to you as quick as possible, here is a communication for you to keep the best advantage of your 3ds max investment.

=> If you are not running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and do not wish to install it, or you are not exchanging files created on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 by someone else, this message is not for you, and you can delete it.

=> If you are running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or want to install it, or if you are exchanging .max file done on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, we would like to grab your attention.

We have identified and confirmed that installing the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 causes the corruption of .max files. All 3ds max (.max) files saved with Windows 2000 SP4 installed will no longer load in 3ds max on systems with Windows 2000 SP2 or SP3 installed.

Our Engineering Team has narrowed in on the problem and is working with Microsoft to resolve the situation.

In the interim it is strongly advised that all 3ds max users do not install the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

If Windows 2000 SP 4 has already been installed it is suggested that customers revert back to SP2 to create usable (.max) file content. This affects all 3ds max files created in versions 3 through 5.1

3ds max files created while Windows 2000 SP4 is installed can be retrieved through either of two workarounds:

Option 1

(Please be aware that some data will still be lost in this workaround.) Revert Windows 2000 SP 4 Systems back to SP3 or earlier Use "File Merge" to retrieve data from corrupted .max files created under Windows 2000 SP4 and resave.

Note: If you have Render Effects or Atmospherics in your max file, use the Merge button in the respective dialogs.

Option 2

Open corrupted .max files created under Windows 2000 SP4 in Windows XP and resave. Revert all systems back to Windows 2000 SP3 or previous.

Bear in mind that 3ds max 5.1 is officially supported for Windows 2000 SP2, so for optimum stability revert to this operating system platform to use 3ds max 5.

Thank you for patience and assistance in getting this problem resolved. More Information: http://discreet-news-emea.discreet.com/cgi-bin2/DM/y/eBs302k8x0BxS0BtY0Aq and click on "Late Breaking 3ds max bulletins"

The Discreet Europe Team

• Administrators

Looks like a new XP service packs will corrupts files too:

--------------------- Original Message -------------------------

Just a warning to anyone running XP. Don't know if it is an XP problem or

not, but with the recent Win2K SP4 problem, it may be related.

I have been (probably foolishly) on the automatic update feature of Win XP

Pro. It did an update yesterday and every file that VIZ has opened today

has ended up being corrupted. In addition the MERGE fixes that have worked

in the past before are completely ineffective.

When trying to merge into, or open any of the files I have been in today,

VIZ does one of two things: dissappears off the screen with no warning,

much like an out of memory crash, or it gives the display "VIZ has

experienced a problem, do you want to save a recovery?" Which fails and

none of the files can be opened again.

It is an XP problem. Probably the same as the Win2K issue. I am back up

and running, but people need to be aware of this and don't use auto-update

in XP.

Here are the details of what happened and how it was fixed.

Going into the event viewer, there were some updates done yesterday. Two

sercurity updates and and two otheres. One was labeled "NT SP4". Don't

know which is the culprit, but here was my fix.

Go to Start/Run then type in "msconfig".

A box called "System Configuration Utility" comes up and on the "General"

tab, click on "Launch System Restore".

Then it will give you a calendar with bold dates. Any of the bold dates you

can click on and the system will restore itself to that date. There was a

warning that popped up, but XP didn't give me time to read it before

restarting. Since the updates happened yesterday, I restored to the 16th.

The only day available before the updates that the system would let me use.

I don't know how it decides which days it will allow, so I suggest doing

this step soon.

I can now re-open files that were unopenable a half hour ago.

Hope this solves your problem too.

-------------------------

This from Troy Buckley on the MAX forums:

"It is the XP security update 823980. It just came out last week some time.

It basically includes a new OLE32.dll. Basically XP will exhibit the same

behavior that Windows 2000 SP4 exhibits. You can work fine on the xp

machine, but no one else will be able to open or read the file. MAJOR

bummer!! I spent 3 hours tracking this down!"

Ever get the impression we are becoming slaves to the computer systems, as oposed to the computer systems being slaves to us Jeff?

When trying to merge into, or open any of the files I have been in today,

VIZ does one of two things: dissappears off the screen with no warning,

much like an out of memory crash, or it gives the display "VIZ has

experienced a problem, do you want to save a recovery?" Which fails and

none of the files can be opened again.

I have had that in W2k SP4 too - exactly the same kind of crash you describe - i couldn't have described it any better. Because it is a very usual type of crash isn't it - you now it is going to happen, and the whole software just breaks the world record for jumping backwards, back down into its hole as if it had just almost stepped on a rattle snake or something!

I once had to restore the last best version of W2k, if one happened to install w2k sp2 on a system with Logitech Mouseware 9.1. The Logitech web site had a new 9.6 download though, which was compatible with w2k sp2. So Microsoft seems to be having all kinds of problems with its service packs now.

• Administrators

Attention All 3ds max® and Autodesk® VIZ Customers,

IMPACT:

Discreet has confirmed that Hotfix 832980 - contained in the

Windows

2000 Service Pack 4 - causes the corruption of 3ds max and

Autodesk

VIZ (.max) files. As a result, all .max files saved with Windows 2000 SP4 installed will no longer load in 3ds max or Autodesk VIZ on systems with Windows 2000 SP2, SP3 or SP4 installed.

We have also verified that this same Microsoft Windows Update Hotfix 832980 is also causing the same .max file corruption on XP operating systems. (Hotfix 832980 has been made available through Windows Update to all Windows 2000 and XP operating systems and service packs.)

WHO IS AFFECTED:

The following operating systems configurations will experience 3ds max and Autodesk VIZ file corruption:

Win 2K SP4

Hotfix KB 823980 under XP

Hotfix KB 823980 under Win2K SP3 or lower

Hotfix KB 823980 under Win NT 4

RESOLUTION:

Resolution of this problem and production work-arounds vary depending on a user's particular configuration, from the above list. Please follow the instructions below carefully to minimize any impact from this Windows Update defect.

Note that we are anticipating a new Hotfix fix from Microsoft by the end of July 2003 to resolve this problem. The temporary instructions below will allow affected systems to return to normal operation until this new Hotfix becomes publicly available.

In all cases, you should disable automatic windows updates through WinUpdate to avoid picking up Hotfix 8323980 until the new Hotfix becomes available.

Temporary Instructions for Windows Update Hotfix 832980 Configurations

If the Windows Update Hotfix 832980 has already been installed under any Windows operating system, it is suggested that customers uninstall the Hotfix to create usable (.max) file content. Uninstalling Hotfix 832980 will allow existing or recently saved/corrupted files to be read by 3ds max and Autodesk VIZ without errors.

You can verify that the Hotfix is installed, and uninstall it, through the Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs, then scroll to find the Windows Update referencing 832980. If it is installed, highlight the reference, and click remove to uninstall the fix.

WARNING - be sure to back-up any critical data on your system

before uninstalling Hotfix 832980 or Windows 2K SP4.

Temporary Instructions for Windows 2K SP4 Configurations

Potential workaround for retrieval of files created or saved under Win 2K SP4:

Option 1, for Win 2K SP4 users:

(Please be aware that some 3ds max and Autodesk VIZ data will

still be lost in this workaround.)

* Revert Windows 2000 SP 4 Systems back to SP3 or earlier

* Use "File Merge" to retrieve data from corrupted .maxfiles

created

under Windows 2000 SP4, and resave.

Note 1: If you have Render Effects or Atmospherics in your

.maxfile, use the Merge button in the respective dialogs.

Note 2: For Option 1, We recommend retaining any originally

corrupted .max files until Microsoft resolves this issue through

a future Hotfix.

Option 2, if Win XP OS is available:

* Open corrupted .max files created under Windows 2000 SP4 in

Windows XP

without Hotfix 832980 installed, and resave.

* Revert all systems back to Windows 2000 SP3 or previous and

files

should be corrected.

WARNING - be sure to back-up any critical data on your system

before uninstalling Hotfix 832980 or Windows 2K SP4.

Discreet is a division of Autodesk, Inc. Autodesk, Discreet, 3ds max, and VIZ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk Inc/Autodesk Canada Inc., in the USA and/or other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders. © Copyright 2003 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.

• 4 weeks later...

NEW PROBLEMS with windows update¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

With the new upgrade to eliminate the worm BLASTER, the users of the 3dstudiomax has the same problem that when installing the SP4.

Definitively, we no longer know which will be the best road, if to tolerate with the virus, or to install the virus of the Sr. Gates :p

Greetings to all

This was posted on the Autodesk website a while ago:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3431487&linkID=982821

Solution

If you have already installed Microsoft® Hotfix 823980 or Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Service Pack 4, you can contact Microsoft by telephone at 800-936-4900 and request "Hotfix - Q824136 for Windows 2000 or Windows XP." You will be asked to provide your name, e-mail address and zip code. Microsoft will send a file approximately 1MB in size to your email address. This Microsoft® Hotfix will only install if you have previously installed Microsoft® Hotfix 823980 or Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Service Pack 4.

Note: This Microsoft® Hotfix is available for English language versions of Windows as well as some localized language versions. When requesting the Microsoft Q824136 Hotfix, you should request the language version that matches your installation of Windows. If you are working with a language version of Windows for which the Microsoft® Hotfix Q824136 is not available, please follow the temporary instructions for your operating system configuration.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible that with SP4 3D max doesn’t work well either? I try to animate a camera and it started to shake, and now all my animations come out all wrong. I didn’t have that problem with SP2, even when I export my geometry from Architectural desktop to the 3DS format it still comes out all wrong. I did the upgrade to eliminate the worm BLASTER

I've been having similiar problems since updating to SP4. I recently reformatted and installed the update so I'm pretty sure its because of SP4, I used sp2 prior to that and did not have the problems.

I have not seen any confirmations from microsoft or discreet, Has anyone seen this?

Tony