3DS Max or Autocad

Sergio

Hi all!

Few years ago when I started with 3D Visuals of architecture, I did it in 3DS Max exclusively. Just recentley, friend of mine told me that is much quicker modelling in Autocad, and importing as *.3DS file for applaying materials and light in max. So 2 months ago, I started learning Autocad. Now I am busy, with a house in Cad, and I came across some problems whitch I could solve in Max, but was struggling in Cad. For example, in Max you can edit solids, by selecting nodes, and moving them, in max you can easy restrict moving to a single plan, and stuff like that. I am sure most of you are using Cad form modeling and Max or LS for rendering, I would like to know your opinions on this metter, are you restricted in Cad compering to Max, or that is only me? And how much you are quicker modeling in Cad, oppose modelling in Max (if quicker)or this is only metter of some people get used to certein software. I know, bottom line is, all the tools are good, but some are different in certein areas. I would like to see your opinions.

Regards Sergio! ;)

i wont go into a long massive answer here but just to say you have to know the software.

it's what you feel at ease with and what you're used to.

i use max and acad, but acad is much more accurate and faster for modelling than max is, which is what it was designed for.

max is much better at organically shaped objects than acad, but drastically lack acad's complete accuracy and control.

Hi Sergio,

Here go my 3 cents...

Autocad can be incredibly fast for hard-surface modeling such as straight walls, windows, doors, floors and ceilings (the close polylines + extrude + booleans workflow is unbeatable.

3dsmax offers a more humanistic approach to modeling in which you have a higher degree of control over your models, its modifiers can be used on a non-destructive way and there are certain types of objects that you can´t produce using autocad (within an acceptable timeframe) such as natural looking curtains, cushions, sofas, bedspreads and free-form furniture. Also you have to consider that some Max native object types such as Nurbs surfaces and Lofts have implicit UVW coordinates which makes texturing a lot easier.

I think the ideal workflow is cleaning-up drawings and closing polylines in Autocad, extruding, lathing, lofting, etc...in Max and producing all the furniture in Max as well.

Sorry I ended-up writing too much...

I hope it helps some.

Brasilieros sao muito inteligente! (Brazilians are very inteligent) because I agree with Christian 100%. Several years ago when I first started working in 3D I was learning the process through autocad and kept thinking to myself that there had to be a better way. Then someone from the gaming industry showed me how they work using 3D studio R4 (not even max yet) and it was exactly what I wanted. I stress the "I" in that phrase because different people are more comfortable with different work flows. I have tried to go back to autocad (and even ADT) several times since then to see if modeling right there would work better for me and I still don't think it does.

Bottom line is I try to use programs strengths and limit thier weaknesses which is pretty much what Christian described.

I am with Strat. I use what I know. But honestly I hate Autocad. :ngeupset: I have been using it daily for so many years now & I think it is a poorly done program. I like max I like the ui and I like the way it thinks. I am better with cad than max so I do use it a lot but I would rather use max. For 3d autocad & max just can't be compaired. The work flow I have developed involves using a footprint (2d) of the bldg plan and a 2d elevation. These are done with cad and modified with cad. I take them and pop them out in max. It works really well for me.

Ok, now here goes my 1 cent (I'm out of change, sorry! :D )

6 years ago, I started modelling using AutoCAD. Then, a guy who worked with me asked me why I didn't do all that stuff with Max, since I was going to export it, anyway. The problem is that I had never thought about doing so, but when I did I found it tremendously easy! Not to mention the UVW mapping part...

So, today I model ONLY in Max, no more CAD for me. And before that I was a DWG native speaker. I even tried to use ArchiCAD, but it turned out to be even slower, since I had to remodel lots of things that came out wrong and/or double.

I think it's better if you can keep everything in only one software, but that's just my humble opinion.

And Yes, brazilians are so inteligent ;) ...

Brian, do you speak portuguese or it's just your computer? :ebiggrin:

[]

Rick

Rick... We are getting old! :D

When I was a Civil Engineering student I began to learn AutoCAD R10 for DOS about 9 years ago.

About 2 years later, I was teaching AutoCAD for many students and professionals and I trying to model something simple in 3D Studio 4.0 for DOS.

Oh! My God!!! I´m really getting old!!! :ebiggrin:

So... of course! On that time, it was so easy to agree that AutoCAD was faster modelling software compare to 3D Studio.

Nowadays I still using a CAD software (ADT) as Civil Engineer and Architect BUT for modelling an design visualization proposals there is NO DOUBT of 3D Studio MAX's powerful.

Kassner.

Thanks to all of you guys for those valuable comment, I am more concern about Max/Cad issue. I also think Max is bit more advanced.

But few things are better, much better in Cad (unless you guys got different approach)that is boolening, in max you have to (whend punching holes in the walls)substruct by selecting the wall, than, click boolen tool, click button "Pick Operand B", than click box whitch is going to be used to make a hole; repeat whole operation for each window opening. In Cad you instantly pick all objects to make holes in the wall at once, so operation is much shorter.

Second thing sometimes, when I punch too many holes in the wall, I loose some faces on the wall, I guess, that must be something wrong with my computer(I think I got a bios problem).

And very big difference is Cad files are much smaller, and computer is struggleing less when you model in Cad. When you importing *.DWG file in Max, that takes for ever.

Any comments?

Regards Sergio! ;)

True Max's booleans are crap :( But I invested in power booleans for max which is amazing :D You can perform boolean after boolean on the same object and it hardly ever fails. You can also pick more than one object to boolean with at a time, just like autocad.

I used to use autocad for modeling a lot but as I got more confident with max I used cad less and now not at all for modeling

Craig

look at it this way -

CAD - hyper accuracy

MAX - not near as accurate, but much more flexable and faster to manipulate. Also you wouldn't consider rendering in CAD. (unless u using archicad ;) )

for me accuracy is of first major importance. max will just not give you infinate accuracy CAD will.

but use the 2 in conjunction, use Max and CAD together at every stage (which is how i work) and you have an unbeatable combination. i'm sure no one could dissagree with me there :)

comments on last question? yeah, import using .3DS format all the way!!!

Hi Graig and Strat,

thanx for lightning reaction.

Craig, those plugins for boolean, what is the name, and are there for free, or if not what the price will be.

Strat, you mentioned .3DS all the way, but if you decide to take drawing from Cad and do all 3D manipulations, extrudes, boolins etc. you can not export(2D drawing)as .3DS, or can you?

Regards Sergio! :D

Hi Strat, what a link! I did not realise that behind a simple operation, such as boolean, can be so much theory. This document has opened my eyes!

Hi Craig, thanx for the link. I must say, those power tools are amazing.

Regards Sergio! :ebiggrin:

>>Brian, do you speak portuguese or it's just your computer?

Actually, Brian does speak portuguese!

I prefer AutoCAD because when working with many different applications, you can always count on good export control and the fact that Max/Viz triangulates everything!

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Modelling in autocad is quicker than max specially if your model is to complicated, use file link manager in 3d maxrather than importing as 3ds. so whatever you revised on your model, you can easily update your max files. you can edit your model too but first bind it.

• 1 year later...

I work for an interior design company, alot of the time designs change on the fly, so we use this process...

Start in AutoCAD (2007 or later):

1. XREF the floor plan /elevations into a new drawing. (by xrefing, we can keep the 2d and 3d info separate... the 2d can be updated instantly)

2. Trace the polylines for slabs, walls etc, extrude and elevate them, then use DUCS to draw polylines around openings and press/pull to subtract them... >>> (very fast with osnaps)

3. Make block references (in 3d) for all doors/ windows etc. >>> (by using references, you can easily add more detail later on) >> then copy them into place.

Link into 3DS Max 9 :

4. Link in the .DWG we have created with the 3d info. (link, don't import)

5. Apply materials, lights, cameras etc. & model loose furniture objects (or anything with organic shapes)

6. Add RPCs etc, and render.

** The beauty is.. if the designers change the plans, I see it immediately via XREF into my 3D DWG. So... I quickly edit my DWG , which updates the model in 3DS ...

acad offers precision and is more ideal for hard surfaces modelling....3dmax on the other hand offers more flexibility since you can retain basic shapes and geometry and stack modifiers into your models.....(start from splines.....acad on the other hand exports meshed obj already) Well i still use both depending on the requirements of the project....bottom line is that these are tools or means to an end.....whatever gets the job done!

note: max's file link manager feature can offer you convenience or nightmares depending on the size of the project and your workflow...hope this helps

Cheers