please help me reduce noise

chow choppe

Hi

I am attaching a render and rendering settings that i used

i am getting noise in couple of areas.Mostly which use Glossy reflections. i have tried everything to reduce it but cant figure out the reason for it.

office1aq0.th.jpgthpix.gif

rendering settings

settingsuc9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Also in some areas i have broken lines because of AA. this image is to made into animation so what settings shud i use for these to appear correctly

Shud i use Adaptive subdivison with area filter?

is this noise to do with Vray lights subdivisions ? i have placed one at the front window and one right above the camera.

thanks

It could be the glass. I've have problems a couple of times where I've tried to fix everything I could think of to get rid of noise and it was the transparency or another parameter in the glass.

Also, another comment. It looks like the top of your area light is very close to the ceiling by the window and Is gving a hard edge of light almost like a light trough or something. Pull it down a bit and that should be resolved.

*edit* I don't even really notice any noise. Maybe up your hsph subs to 40 and interp to 30. Also in the ceiling the lights shouldn't intersect the metal support bars of the system. They would most likely be centered on a panel. To me the issues with the lights and the flat, paper thin rug are more serious problems. The camera is at a strange height as well. Midget cam maybe?

Edited by Spooner04

...Also in the ceiling the lights shouldn't intersect the metal support bars of the system. They would most likely be centered on a panel. To me the issues with the lights and the flat, paper thin rug are more serious problems. The camera is at a strange height as well. Midget cam maybe?

I completely agree. Try placing your lights correctly throughout the scene. For one, the light that you're using near the window should be outside, not inside, there should be soft shadows casting across the ceiling from the window framework and there should be another light outside the window on the left. The lobby shot in another thread has the same problem. I'd recommend you fix it - it looks obvious and cheap.

To help with render speed and get rid of the artefacts in the ceiling, use one long-thin area light to provide the illumination from the ceiling lights. Just add a bright material to the lights to fake the glow. Set that material/ the geometry it's applied to to glow, but not contribute to Final Gather - that will stop artefacting and save a bit of render time.

Good luck,

S.

Spooner

I have my light far below the top end but i think i switched on ignore light normals. so maybe taht is making it look like that. is it?

what shud i be doing with the transparency of the glass in order to lessen noise.

I will correct the ceiling light position :-)

and also increase thickness of rug.

increasing Hsph or interpolation samples will solve this issue?

Shaneis

I had gone thru Brian's vray modules for practical interior lighting in which he told to put lights inside the window because if light has obstructions it will have more noise on the image. maybe i interpreted it wrong.

agree on putting one light on left side but that is office space on the left.

also u mean to say that i put one vray light below the ceiling for uniform illumination?

How ill that reduce artefacts. sorry if i am sounding too dumb

i am using Vray.

thanks

Brian's approach has it merits but in this case, that approach is causing inaccuracies. You can have the same effect by doing the following;

1. Place the V-Ray area lights for the windows outside.

2. Using the light-linking tools, break the links between the light and the glass, so that the glass is completely unaffected by the light behind it.

3. Do the same for the light and the glass plane to the left.

You could also put a light outside the windows to the right. See attached to illustrate.

One question, is the glass meant to be so translucent?

Ceiling lights - I suggest that you make one long, thin area light and place that directly under the small light fittings. Use it to provide some light from above. Create a bright material to use in the light fittings to fake the brightness of the light globes. Apply that to the light fittings and then turn that material/ geometry's contribution to Final Gather off. That will end the artefacts around the ceiling lights and give you easy control.

Brian's approach has it merits but in this case, that approach is causing inaccuracies. You can have the same effect by doing the following;

2. Using the light-linking tools,(can u elaborate this that how can i do this. break the links between the light and the glass, so that the glass is completely unaffected by the light behind it.

You could also put a light outside the windows to the right. See attached to illustrate.

One question, is the glass meant to be so translucent?

i am not able to make good glass material

Ceiling lights - I suggest that you make one long, thin area light and place that directly under the small light fittings. Use it to provide some light from above. Create a bright material to use in the light fittings to fake the brightness of the light globes. Apply that to the light fittings and then turn that material/ geometry's contribution to Final Gather off.Final gather? i am using Vray . and i havent understood how exclusing that from final gatehre reduce the artefacts.That will end the artefacts around the ceiling lights and give you easy control.

Sorry for asking too many questions but i appreciate ur responses

So, you don't know how to create/ break links (include/exclude) between geometry and lights, you can't create a simple glass material, you don't understand how luminous materials can create artefacts in final gathering???

I think rather than repeatedly asking forum members to bail you out, you really need to do some study, memorise and learn some of the basics of architectural rendering. I know this probably sounds harsh and I'll more than like be receiving a scathing response but it is in your best interests and will definitely benefit you now and in the future. I'd suggest you start by revising the principles of rendering and lighting in 3D. It is the key to rendering - understand the principles and you can use any renderer. The link below is a good start... happy learning :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=650761&page=1&pp=15

So, you don't know how to create/ break links (include/exclude) ----I didnt understand the words Break link. if u wud have used include/extrude earlier it wud have been easier to understand.between geometry and lights, you can't create a simple glass material, you don't understand how luminous materials can create artefacts in final gathering??? no i dont.

I think rather than repeatedly asking forum members to bail you out, you really need to do some study, memorise and learn some of the basics of architectural rendering. I know this probably sounds harsh and I'll more than like be receiving a scathing response but it is in your best interests and will definitely benefit you now and in the future. I'd suggest you start by revising the principles of rendering and lighting in 3D. It is the key to rendering - understand the principles and you can use any renderer. The link below is a good start... happy learning :) Thanks shane for the link but i know the basics of CG and might not be as good as u. thats why i am trying to learn from you guys as i have a deadline and can start from that link for sure.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=650761&page=1&pp=15

Appreciate ur help

2. Using the light-linking tools, break the links between the light and the glass, so that the glass is completely unaffected by the light behind it.

Shane,

To use your own words, your approach has merits but imho, causes more problems than it solves....and I'm not sure what your definition of inaccuracies is.

While your approach works, placing a light outside a window does the following, and imo therefore, is more trouble than it's worth:

• reduces the total illumination making it inside. even when the ignore light normals option is off, the light coming off a vray plane is not perfectly parallel. if you move the light too far outside, a lot never makes it into the room (which lessens the benefit of using a fill light to supplement the sunlight) and if it's too close to the window, the sill and frame can be blown out with too much light.

• does not allow the light to be trapped in the room and fill out the room with gi....the whole point of adding the fill light. an interior scene simply does not fill in as well as when a light is placed inside. if this weren't the case, then we could just get away with using the sunlight to fill in an interior

• adds noise (albeit sometimes small) when you use a glossy window frame material, which means the need for high render settings

• requires you to have the extra step of always unlinking the lights with the glass

besides this, new users that forget this fix you suggest will always have more noise and render times if they fail to unlink the lights and glass. i just dont know what advantages you gain by using your method, but if there are some I'm not thinking of, I'd like to know.

Edited by Brian Smith