Adding more photo realism.

ankit4d

as it stands no, i certainly dont like it.

to make it more photo real you need two things - the ability to see where the image can improve and what needs to be done, and secondly the ability to carry out those changes.

If you dont know what changes need to be done then i'm almost at a loss to help. the improvements needed should be obvious i'm afraid.

go take a look at a typical photo of a church or similar building. now compare it to yours. the differences will jump out at you. then go and try and 'fill in the gaps' so to speak.

I don't know what changes should i make.

If you cant see the differences then you need to go back to the drawing board and study photos and real life, as all we'll be doing here is holding your hand through a process that'll not mean much to you until you can see the light. once you can see the improvements that need to be made, we'll be in a better position to help you with your software, but you must do the basics for yourself if you're to learn. :(

the ability to see where the image can improve and what needs to be done,

If you dont know what changes need to be done then i'm almost at a loss to help.

Humm...

I do not agree with you Strat. If everybody who is posting in Work in Progress Forum knows what changes are needed to be made, than they would post there work in Finished work section and NOT in work in Progress section.

If I was able to see what improvement is needed to be made Why would I post my work in Work in Progress forum.

because you perhaps dont have the ability to make those changes, and the vast majority of peeps who do post pictures in the wip forums are far more advanced than this image is.

yes, i could point out things your image lacks like the absolute basics - composition, flat lighting, wrong shadows, no gi, poor texturing etc etc. these are things you should see yourself.

my reply to questions like yours are always the same - study real photographs and the answers will be self evident. Then if you cant make those changes due to technical inability, we'll surely help you :)

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, but you must grasp the basics for yourself, or atleast show that ability, else all our help is meaningless and your path will be long.

Humm...

I do not agree with you Strat. If everybody who is posting in Work in Progress Forum knows what changes are needed to be made, than they would post there work in Finished work section and NOT in work in Progress section.

If I was able to see what improvement is needed to be made Why would I post my work in Work in Progress forum.

Hi ,,,,Man the best way to learn is to learn by yourself so that you will never ever forget

just go and grab a real similar pic and compare it to yours then say what you think is different

even if you couldn't tell ,,just try and then people will help you that is what START is trying to say to you :)

because you perhaps dont have the ability to make those changes, and the vast majority of peeps who do post pictures in the wip forums are far more advanced than this image is.

yes, i could point out things your image lacks like the absolute basics - composition, flat lighting, wrong shadows, no gi, poor texturing etc etc. these are things you should see yourself.

my reply to questions like yours are always the same - study real photographs and the answers will be self evident. Then if you cant make those changes due to technical inability, we'll surely help you :)

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, but you must grasp the basics for yourself, or atleast show that ability, else all our help is meaningless and your path will be long.

Well ... a bit harsh.. true, nonetheless..

hello there,

i have to agree with above.

what i did (and still do ) when i started to learn is take a render i admire and try to emulate it (ie get similar results )

basically a render is :

1- modelling, so better modeling a more details means a better render

2- texturing, so plain soloid colors just won't give u great results

3- lighting, start with GI and experiment, a LOT (it takes time)

4- rendering, this one will only give u the results of above.

PS i do bellieve that one has to have a sense of Art to play in this field.

when u can appreciate Art in general u will have the tendency to grasp what makes an artistic job better.

Cheers

This thread was fun :) I agree with the "harsh" guy. Go outside, look at buildings in different sun condition, maybe take some photos, study them in your war-room, and find out what is the thing that makes this photo looking real. It might be texture variations, small details (cracks and dusts) on surfaces, or if its a distance shot maybe shadow, reflection, skycolor, vegetation, etc. Camera angle also can do a lot to an image. Maybe something like this (on a general base): Decide what you want to tell / show and set your angle to suit the message. Then comp around to get your message across.

But I dont agree about that should restrict people from posting in WIP threads. WIP is for learning what to look for AND how to correct it, in a technical way.

Your second image was much better :) But Im still wondering if such a big building has a surface that monotone as yours?

thats my 50.cent (not the rapper :)

-K-

Ankit,

Congratulations on the radical improvement. I usually won't comment on a rendering as basic as the one you first posted, but your second one is so much better!

Notice 2 things about the change in composition. 1 - the view is now from eye level (appx 5'-5") not second floor window height like the first view. 2 - The view is now revealing the texture of the facade where the first view was quite flat. Adding a sun to the upper right of the view, where the light is coming from in the background plate, would reveal the texture even more.

Great renderings are, in my opinion, equal parts of modeling, lighting, textures, and composition. The model is already quite good. The composition is now much improved. Work on the light and the materials and you will have something pretty good!