rendering furniture piece by piece

nelpiper

Hi guys. I run into this problem. I want to render an interior scene with lots of furniture. I want to render the pieces separately. For example, I want to render the sofa on its own, the cussions on their own, etc. I was think about hiding what I don't want to appear but the lighting is going to be wrong.

So, how to render things separately the correct way?

Thanks

Edited by nelpiper
wrong title

yeh it's fantastic. make use of not calc full scene for FG checkbox. can save a lot of rendering if not required.

yep you just need to disable the object's visibility propery. select object > right click > properties > uncheck visible to camera.

note also that the visibility value (from 0 to 1) is boolean ONLY in mentalray (i.e. 0 or 1, but nothing in between). so you can't animate visibility this way. to do that use a material that fades in and out or other methods (that's often the easiest).

Ok. Let me be more specific Alex.

I want to render the objects in a scene in differenr passes. For example, render trees in a pass, the grass in another pass, the house in another one and so forth. Of course, all that without corrupting the light solution. Is that achieved with the render subset of scene shader?

Thanks again.

yep RSOS is exactly what you need.

the RSOC is essentially a "beauty pass" for specific objects. so compositing is very very straightforward. (just make sure you get things in the right order, but that's visually very obvious usually).

all you do is select the objects you want to render in the pass, add them to the list, render. make a dupe of the shader in ME, change the contents of the list and re-render. you'll end up with lots of RSOC shaders in your ME, each of which acts as a "pass" so you can re-use them later on.

workflow:

1) render setup > rendering > camera effects

2) lens shader > render subset of scene

3) drop instance of this shader into material editor

4) click Add

5) press H to bring up object selection

6) select what you want (using ctrl, shift, dragging across multiples etc)

enjoy :)