Ten vray questions

steve

Hello everybody

I am a new user of vray adv. and after doing a small test rendering, I set few questions I am sure many of u have answers to them.

1- Can we use all kinds of light with vray or simply vraylight? what about raytraced shadows?

2 - Do you simulate real life light design placing a light where specified or simply simulate light in general ? How many lights are generally used in average ?

3- Does vray fits for exterior lighting using only on light for the sun ? again what about raytrace shadows ?

4- Does vray work with standard material or all should be transformed into vray material?

5- How do you create transparent glass ?The old max way of simply changing opacity is not available.

6- what are the main parameters to change for a good light setup ? ( is it irr. map for 1st and photon for 2nd ?. I can't get the fast rendering times i see on your renderings .

7 - Should we save and re-use irr map and photon map in animations ?

8- Any clue about these white dots apperaring in my attached test rendering ?

9 - Can we render a low resolution image and re-use the saved lighting for a higher rendering?

10 - Can we create non regular shaped lighting with vray? an S neon shape for example.

I will really appreciate detailed answers from the vray experts as I am sure these feed back will be a great help for many new users

Salut to all

• 1 month later...

HI, I´ll answer some questions

1- you can use all kind of light, also with shadows (but v-ray shadows are faster)

2-You can use just one light to simulate real life light

3-Yes, is very useful simulate for exterior lighting using only one light for the sun , and agian, use v-ray shadows

4-vray does work with standard material, but it doesn´t work so well with raytraced

5-You have to adjust the refraction a little bit to middle gray , it becomes tranparent, and if you want to fully transparent the coluar have to be white.

6- Use it irr. map for 1st and direct for 2nd (see osmosis tutorial, http://www.osmosis.com.au/info/tutorials.htm)

7- I don´t have many expererience on animations, I think you should

8- Maybe you are using a raytraced material, or maybe you didn´t apply a UVW modifier to all your geometry, or.. maybe you used the camera correction modifier of max 6

9-I don´t have many expererience on that subject

10-es you have to use an output map on the self ilumination chanel of your material

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Evermotion.org has a collection 52 free videos demostraiting most of VRay's unique and distinct approaches to doing things. They are soundless .avi files. No voice info. This doesn't really hurt though, as the demo is very watchable and followable if you concentrate.

Surprisingly, I would rate these videos as one of the finest learning experiances I have ever had. Before I did those tutorials, I could not do photorealistic work. Now that's just about all I am doing. It's surprisingly easy when you know how.

Dave

8 - the white dots are usually the sign of a licensing issue, or the fact that you may be using a pirate version. If you have the first one, contact the Vray people, if you have the second one, keep in mind that this forum does not generally "help" unlicensed users. But I may be very wrong... since I can't see the image you tried to attach.

• 1 month later...
8 - the white dots are usually the sign of a licensing issue, or the fact that you may be using a pirate version. If you have the first one, contact the Vray people, if you have the second one, keep in mind that this forum does not generally "help" unlicensed users. But I may be very wrong... since I can't see the image you tried to attach.

I think those white dot he is refering to is the Photon... not enough of it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...
I am not finding them. Is it specifically mentioned that 52 video tutorials...Please let me know...

That is because this thread is 4 years old and the videos are no longer available. Which is good considering they would be misleading such that vray has changed in for years and the old videos would not matchup to the latest build.